senior portraits

This is my first post here. After being unable to find an answer on my own, I finally decided to seek advice.

I did some shots of a relative's child. I thought they were nothing special. However, the kid used them for senior pictures. The parents were quite happy. They said the shots were great, then they told me they had been planning on spending a couple of hundred dollars to pay a professional.

I did some research and found high school senior pictures make up a lucrative market around here. I'd like to get in on it.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to get a senior picture business started?

Re: senior portraits

I have had the same thing happen to me, I have used friend's kids as models to practice. I ended up printing over 20 pictures for different people and I thought the were snap shots.

Here is an idea I had.

Dpending on where you are from, out where Iam not everyone has the money to hire a pro. I figured I would approuch the school and ask the office if anyone had not been able to afford senior portraits for the year book. If so I would do them at a heavily reduced cost. Now this would be for name recognition and practice. They get what they need and you do too.I am getting all kinds of feed back from parrents from just shooting ball games. There is money to be made if you are good enough and have the time. I just freelance for the news paper and give out pictures to parent mostly.

Good luck post any ideas you have I am learning too.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

If I am not mistaken here in Rome, at least, it is up to the Principal of each school to decides which photog to use for portraits. They decide based on experiance and price. I might add too the ones they used this year were quiet pricey compared to years past. Some packages were in the $500.00 plus range. Average packages were in the $250.00 range and there were not that many pictures in the package. I think a lot of parents hired out to "freelance photogs". Are you listening Tyson?
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Well here in Ohio, the students select there own photographer. As long as you have your year book picture in on time no one cares where you go. On the other hand there is a list of "school photographers" that the school uses. Guys that do the dances and stuff. After I get a few new pieces of glass I think I am going to go all out and give the local boys a run for there money. All the photographers take the same old poses and back drops, someone that wants to be creative can make some cash. It is all about originality and style.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    Well here in Ohio, the students select there own photographer. As long as you have your year book picture in on time no one cares where you go. On the other hand there is a list of "school photographers" that the school uses. Guys that do the dances and stuff. After I get a few new pieces of glass I think I am going to go all out and give the local boys a run for there money. All the photographers take the same old poses and back drops, someone that wants to be creative can make some cash. It is all about originality and style.

Good luck with it. I am sure you will do well. I think though the 40-150mm lens you have would work fine for that.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum!

Not knowing what your skill level is, it's hard to say what you should do. I would start slowly, and build up a portfolio before jumping in with both feet.

Getting your name out there is a very important step you need to take. How you do that is up to you. Word of mouth, an add in the local newspaper will work. Having samples to show people will also help.

One thing you may consider. I know there is a local photographer (not a pro) who goes to the high school office and gets a list of students who are from low income homes and don't have the $ to pay for a pro photog. He contacts them and takes their senior portraits for them very inexpensively. It could be a good way to get some clients, and get your foot in the door.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the input. The low income suggestion may be the way to go. We have a lot of kids in this area that unfortunately are in that group.

You need to find a kid (preferably a junior) photograph the heck out of them, make them a small album, arm them with some rep cards (business cards, but with pretty pictures and stuff) and let them know they will be rewarded for each senior session you book. Preferably, your kid will be on team of some sort. Or popular.

This is, of course, assuming you've got product to market. Kids want what other kids have. If you've got a handful of kids saying you're the cat's pajamas, other kids are going to come to you.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information