Selling Photos to the subject of the photo????

I am the wife of a drummer who plays for a semi-well known musician. This musician has asked to purchase some of my photos from the concerts. I am assuming that he would like to use these for purposes such as: Album art, photos in book, posters etc. I have been told that I will need model releases from the other musicians who might appear in the pictures. Can I get a release form online for free anywhere?

Also, I would probably like to draw up a contract stating that I would still like to be able to use the sold photos for my portfolio and I would like my name credited to the photos. Is this unreasonable? How much would I charge for such a thing and what format would I sell the photos in?

Help please?!

Re: Selling Photos to the subject of the photo????

When it comes to selling photos, the first thing that you need to get straight with the client is for what use. Non-commercial use is of course different from commercial use and your obvious approach is to link the price to use or uses.

You would NOT draw up a contract stating that you would still like to use photos in your portfolio or your name credited on the photos. (Wording and approach!) Instead you would in written form indicate that you retain the right to certain uses of the photos including portfolio use and perhaps even resale of the photo for a different use.

I would tend to sell the photos in print form since you end up keeping the original with the photo information on it, which confirms your ownership of the copyright.

Charges would relate to uses wanted by the client and vary from market to market. A piece of software called Photo Quote would help, that has been mentioned before on this site, in this forum.

Ronnoco

Ronnoco,

Thanks for your reply. With the holidays and everything I was too busy to spend time here.

I will continue to look into it. I am quite an amateur so I am not sure how to draw up a contract or get model releases. If you have the time, more direction I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Another question:

If I am photographing the same subjects at multiple concerts, do I need a separate model release for the same subject for each event?

Thread Information