Exclamation Seeking Fee Advice

Hi all,

I am seeking advice on what would be a fair price to charge an organization for 24 hours of photo shooting.

There is an opportunity for me to go to a Caribbean island to work with a govermental agency to do 3 days of shooting. They want me to ride with them as they go throughout their day (some of it in watercraft) for 3 days/ 8 hours/day. I would imagine that I'll be shooting thousands of pictures. The pictures will be used both on their new web site (that's being redesigned) and in print media.

While money isn't an issue necessarily, for them, I don't want to charge too much and I don't want to charge too little as I'm trying to build a name for my name/company on this island.

My gut would be around $15,000 to $20,000 (my travel would have to come out of my fees).

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Ron

Re: Seeking Fee Advice

There are a number of threads here in the business forum on how to figure up what to charge a customer. There are a lot of things to consider besides travel and time shooting such as storage devices, camera equipment, rentals (gear & travel), and then you have the time processing and of course licensing. Considering it's a foreign country you need to deal with THIER laws on copyright, licensing and so on. Make sure you get everything in writing before you go and then before any photos are used.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Usual approach is a per hour rate + expenses + a price on the shots used + an agreement that you keep the shots and the rights on any shots not used. You may also want to limit use or rights if you get some really fantastic shots that could be re-sold.

Ronnoco

Thanks for the replies.. however, even though you gave me some good insight, my question is still unanswered.

Any idea on how much I should charge with all things included (other than travel as I can tack that on to the end).

thanks,
    Ron

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Sounds like a great assignment!

To me, there is too much ambiguity as to what is expected from you. While I can imagine easily shooting thousands of images over three days, I bet they do not want thousands. I can't even imagine post processing those kind of numbers. The cost would be tremendous.

Instead, I would get specific numbers/type from your customer. 20 of fauna, 20 of vacationers, 20 of city life, ... Once you have the numbers, you can better gauge the amount of hours you'll need once you return.

Oh, BTW, my quick calculation on your situation is at $6,200 before you even take a single shot. And that's assuming that you already have all the necessary gear.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information