Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Unhappy A question or two on Advertising...

The recent business I had as photographer for a local college seems to be coming to an end. The relationship has been rocky since my (unpaid) internship came to an end and I told them they had to pay me to retain my services. Without going into too many details, they seem to be avoiding me about making arrangments for next year and whether or not they will allow me to sell the photos I have taken over the previous year (which was originally their idea since there was some demand for it from some parents and the athletes themselves).

So I was thinking about expanding my business. I have contact information for 23 different colleges and universities, and I would like to send them something as an advertisement.

I was thinking about using a simple business letter to get in contact with these schools. How effective is one? Are their any tips on what I should put into a business letter? Since I've mainly taken pictures at NCAA events, I can't use any of them in an advertisement as it could effect the player's eligability (which also wouldn't look good to potential clients).
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: A question or two on Advertising...

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    . Are their any tips on what I should put into a business letter? Since I've mainly taken pictures at NCAA events, I can't use any of them in an advertisement as it could effect the player's eligability (which also wouldn't look good to potential clients).
    O.K. I am not American, so I don't understand about NCAA events, but I would consider using a shot where with a little assistance from Photoshop, I could make the individuals unidentifiable. After all, you are emphasizing the type of action shot that you can take,....who is in the shot is irrelevant.

Ronnoco

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

You're confusing "advertisement" with SELF-PROMOTION...

masdog,

Sending potential clients or employers samples of your work as a direct mailing is considered self-promotion, and the legalities are very different than if you used your sports photos of amateur athletes in actual advertisements such as magazine ads or billboards, etc.

Ok, this is not legal advice, but generally speaking, any type of photographer can send out portfolios or samples of pretty much any type of work and not have it considered commercial use. For example, a photo journalist can put tear sheets (samples of published work) in a portfolio and show it (or send it) to other publications and not have it considered commercial use of news images...

If your sports shots are not advertising a commercial product or service, you are free to show them to others (which is really what you're doing) to try to get work...

BTW, Ronnoco's advice is good. If you're really worried about identifying individual players, it's not hard to add photoshop style or edit your pics to change them slightly so the subjects look more generic...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: You're confusing "advertisement" with SELF-PROMOTION...

AS,

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. I was considering sending a copy of my portfolio, on CD, to the individual schools. I'm just concerned that if I start putting the images into flyers or brochures with a Massey Photography logo on it that list my services, I will be violating NCAA regs. and turning off potential customers. I guess it is better to play it a little safe in those regards.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

In that case...

I'm just concerned that if I start putting the images into flyers or brochures with a Massey Photography logo on it that list my services, I will be violating NCAA regs...
    ...it may be worth your while to consult with an attorney, preferably one familiar with amateur athletics and the NCAA rules.

Seems there is a lot at stake here, so any costs could be considered an investment in your business (and would most likely be tax-deductable).

But I can almost guarantee that you have the right to promote your business by sending out samples of your work, no matter what that work is.

Think about it. Sports Illustrated covers amateur athletics all the time. And those photogs most certainly use the shots in their portfolios, on their web sites, and in self-promotion mailings.

Sure, there may be a line. You just need to find out how far you can go without crossing it...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Masdog,

You are right to be concerned. Many students on sportsshooter.com received cease and desist letter from the NCAA for having student athlete photos on their SS portfolio pages. NCAA rules expressly prohibit using the student image for promotion, and as such an agreement was reached with the SS management where the "available for freelance" portion of the portfolio sites was removed to make it seem less like the pages were for promoting commercial interests, namely yours as photographer.

It goes against fair use, but if you want to shoot their events, you have to sign their agreement, which means you can't use the images for your own promotion.

Honestly, it's not very limiting. Action can be had anywhere, and all good editors don't care WHO the shot is of, as long as it's a good shot.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: In that case...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Think about it. Sports Illustrated covers amateur athletics all the time. And those photogs most certainly use the shots in their portfolios, on their web sites, and in self-promotion mailings.
    Even their use has received scrutiny, and compromises had to be made. This whole trend of organizations trying to control every aspect of their media exposure is really a slippery slope.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks Seb...

I always hesitate to give (what may seem like) legal advice in this forum, so I really try to keep it general until someone who has more specific info adds it to the mix.

Obviously, any sports (or news) shooters need to be very aware of image use restricitions like the ones you mention.

But, as you say, it should not be a dead end to promoting yourself, but rather just an obstacle that you have to learn to get around...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Thanks Seb...

[QUOTE=Asylum Steve]I
    Obviously, any sports (or news) shooters need to be very aware of image use restricitions like the ones you mention.
    QUOTE]

Just to point out, Steve, there are fewer image use restrictions for news shooters than any other type of photographer. Among other things, I also do news shooting.

Ronnoco

masdog,

You can use whatever photos you want as part of a portfolio to send to potential clients. You are not selling them, and therefore are making money off them, they are only examples of your work. It doesn't matter either if you use them as prints or on a CD.

BTW, there are a few papers up your way looking for photogs.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

The one - The only

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    masdog,

You can use whatever photos you want as part of a portfolio to send to potential clients. You are not selling them, and therefore are making money off them, they are only examples of your work. It doesn't matter either if you use them as prints or on a CD.

BTW, there are a few papers up your way looking for photogs.

JS
    Not to steal a thread, but it kinda flows with the original topic. As far as putting a portfolio together...you can use any image you take to show "examples" of your work. However, you couldn't sell or resell them if the photo rights belonged to the school/employer? This is the understanding I have from the posts.

Also, you talk about sending out a portfolio. Do people blanket the market with their portfolios to get their names out and gain recognition?

Last question about this I promise! What's the best format for a portfolio, CD of common image file types (.JPEG/.TIFF) or an actual book of prints?

Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

--Dave
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    . However, you couldn't sell or resell them if the photo rights belonged to the school/employer? This is the understanding I have from the posts.
    --Dave
    Whether the photo rights belonged to the school/employer however depends on the original circumstances under which you took the photos. Don't necessarily assume that the rights belong to the school/employer.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    O.K. I am not American, so I don't understand about NCAA events, but I would consider using a shot where with a little assistance from Photoshop, I could make the individuals unidentifiable. After all, you are emphasizing the type of action shot that you can take,....who is in the shot is irrelevant.

Ronnoco
    Yes, who is in the shot is irrelevant, but making a person unidentifiable would ruin the image. One aspect of sports photography isn't just capturing action, but capturing the facial expressions during the action. Most of my best shots don't just capture a type of action, but they capture exhertion, intensity, and drama.

Now I could blot out the school name on the jersey, but that wouldn't change the fact that the AD or SID would still be able to identify the player as a college player (small conference of small schools...all the athletics people know each other).
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks, Seb. I plan on going though my intramural and flag football pictures to see if I can find any that I might be able to use in a flyer.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

LOVE what you do

Hey Masdog,

I thought you could use images for "editorial " content and it was ok not to have a model release. If you are trying to sell the shots then that is another story.

Hi Loveheart,

My use of the photos would be commercial, not editorial. And even if I would not be selling the images, the NCAA has some very draconian rules about how images of their events can be used.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Hi Loveheart,

My use of the photos would be commercial, not editorial. And even if I would not be selling the images, the NCAA has some very draconian rules about how images of their events can be used.
    You know, masdog, I have still NOT seen the NCAA or any other organization for that matter mentioned in the Copyright Act of the U.S., Canada, England or Australia.

So, if you need to work with them, then you may be stuck with their "draconian rules", but if you don't, there seems to be nothing illegal about totally ignoring them.

Ronnoco

Thread Information