Pricing Questions

Hello All,
    OK this is my first post! I have a question and at the present time I do not know all the details. Basically I have a picture that a company in the biking community wants to know what my usage parameters will be. Well that is the problem I do not know what the going rate is? I am guessing that it will be used on the web or a new catalog. What is a decent ballpark for say 1 use ,5 uses, and maybe 15????
    Thanks

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Pricing Questions

Hi!

I thought I recognized that screen name

I would look into a program called Fotoquote. Its great for helping figuring out prices & everything else, as well as explaining how they come up with the rates. From what I know about everything, you'll need to know how long they want to use your image and what they want to use it for. Depending on their answers will be what helps you figure out a reasonable price.

Depending on your needs you also could get some swag from them. I've done that before. Good luck though!
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Yeah Jody G (photomom) gave a link to that site! I may have to buy it, not sure $$$ amount yet. I have a feeling what I really need is another 580EX flash and BATTERY packs a total of 2. Then also some POCKET WIZARDS!!! That will be a spendy little purchase....... I guess it is negotiable anyhow, so getting free product might be good also???

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Hi!

I thought I recognized that screen name

I would look into a program called Fotoquote. Its great for helping figuring out prices & everything else, as well as explaining how they come up with the rates. From what I know about everything, you'll need to know how long they want to use your image and what they want to use it for. Depending on their answers will be what helps you figure out a reasonable price.

Depending on your needs you also could get some swag from them. I've done that before. Good luck though!

That program seems a bit overpriced to me. There are less expensive programs that off er more.....too tired to think of the names off hand but a google search should dig some or all of them up.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Ian-
    First of all, the bike industry is generally pretty cheap. Notice all the crappy photos in advertisements in mountain bike magazines. That's because the manufacturers don't generally want to pay and they don't value a good photo. They'd rather take the free photo from their buddy than pay a working photographer for a good one.

But it sounds like you have some genuine interest. This is your chance to get your foot in the door. Just don't let them take advantage of you. The truth is, there are no fixed usage rates. You have to base the rate on where the photo is going to be used, how large it is, the company using it, the exclusivity of the image, etc. Why don't you find out how they want to use it and then come back to us. I also like to know the circulation of the "publication", whether it's a catalog, magazine ad, Web site, etc. The bigger the numbers, the more money you should get paid.

As far as "free" product goes - it's not free. You worked for your photos and they are a valuable commodity. If you get product for them, it's not free. You should negotiate for cash first, and then if you want product, let them know after the agreement is made. Usually that will make them happy because it's cheaper for them. Because of that, make sure you get product at wholesale. For what it's worth, I have more tires than I'll ever be able to use. Trading photos for product is ok, as long as you get a fair trade, and you can use the product. The last time I did some trade, the company wanted to value their product at full retail. No one pays full retail. It was total BS. I haven't given them any photos since.

Hope that helps. Find out some more about how they want to use it and I can come up with a number for you to work with.

And welcome to the site! Post reviews for your equipment and stick around. We always need more people!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

So I am now awaiting their answer to foreseen useage of said image?
    Thanks
    Will let you know....

Thread Information