Thread: pricing

pricing

I was just asked to quote someone to shoot a baby holding a specific toy for an ad campaign. the client has photos from an earlier shoot, but wants a re-shoot and has low budget...but won't say what the budget is. I'm fairly new to this so don't know what to say. I feel that i can do this in about 1 hour fairly easily. They also want to own the image outright and be able to use it whenever. Any thoughts? am i supposed to charge hourly or hourly plus selling all rights?

Thanks.

Re: pricing

Quote Originally Posted by birthisnormal
    I was just asked to quote someone to shoot a baby holding a specific toy for an ad campaign. the client has photos from an earlier shoot, but wants a re-shoot and has low budget...but won't say what the budget is. I'm fairly new to this so don't know what to say. I feel that i can do this in about 1 hour fairly easily. They also want to own the image outright and be able to use it whenever. Any thoughts? am i supposed to charge hourly or hourly plus selling all rights?

Thanks.
    Sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Normal is to charge hourly plus any expenses, plus the rights, but in order to get an idea of what to charge for rights you need to know more about their proposed use of the photo. An ad campaign is somewhat vague without specifics.

I would also use his words that he has a "low budget" as a reason for limiting the rights that you are selling...i.e. They do not get to own the image outright. You do.
    They cannot resell it for example. Certain uses are subject to re-negotiation and additional price, etc.

You have to balance your desire for the job, with his desire to take advantage of you and get a great useful advertising shot at a very cheap price. Advertising types can be quite aggressive and will "eat you alive", if you let them.

Ronnoco

Thread Information