Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

prices for photos

This was brought up in a recent thread, and I'm wondering what everyone's take is. Should a sports photographer sell the photos cheap, or expensive? Here's some thoughts.

-if a photographer sells photos cheap, more people will buy them because they don't have to pay as much

-if they are more expensive, you run the risk of losing people who don't want to pay the price

-are people who are going to buy a photo really caring about the price? Like, if they're going to buy it, will it really matter if it's 10 dollars compared to 7?

-will people see lower prices as a sign of lesser quality?

I'd like to see your take on these, and also, if you don't mind sharing, what your prices are.

Mine are as follows

5x7- $7
    8x10- $15
    5 - 4x6 - $20
    10 - 4x6 - $30

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: prices for photos

I don't have prices yet for most of my photos since I haven't made an effort to really sell anything. I'm kinda putting off sending images into my local paper and to the minor league baseball team in Appleton, mostly out of a fear of being rejected.

The few pictures that I have "sold" have mainly been for cost since they were either done for my internship or done as part of a fundraiser run by my fraternity (local Halloween event that I helped organize...I think the Fraternity made a little money off of it, and I was reimbursed for all my expenses).

Now that I print my own images, I plan on making a little bit off of my images. I used to charge $15 for an 11x14 since I could get them for $12, but now I'm going to charge $30 since that is what they will pay. I haven't set prices for anything else yet since I haven't been in a position to sell anything.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: prices for photos

It depends on what your trying to do, make a living or break even. When I sold at the race track a 4x6 was $3.00 a 5x7 was $5.00 and an 8x10 was $10 the 20x30 was $38 and I'd sell $400-$800 worth a night. I had quantity prices for 3 of one size
    Now though I sell fewer prints and make more money on them, I don't even mess with anything under 8x10's which are going between $15 & $21 here depending on the subject and location. I sell 20x30's for $60 and you'd be surprised how many people buy them.
    When I price a photo I take every exspense occured in getting that photo and it's figured in to the cost, even that $15 parking fee! As gas goes up, the price goes up.

JS

Thread Information