Thread: Portfolio??

Portfolio??

I'm supposed to have an interview with a photographer sometime within the next 2 weeks about a summer job. He told me to call him when I get in town to set up the interview, and to make sure I have all my equipment with me. He didn't say anything about have a portfolio, but I feel that it is important to have one with me so that he can see some of my work, but I don't exactly know how to do it. About how many pictures should I include? And what kind of book should they go in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    ses

Re: Portfolio??

I don't know what kind of photographer he is, but maybe he isn't worried about a portfolio but he is going to take you out and put you to work to see what you can do. Everyone has great shots, but not everyone can work on a tight deadline. This might be what he is doing (I know from experience, I used to do this to newbies before I'd hire them)
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

I would say a dozen or so. You can have one made at www.mpix.com
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

It really depends on what type of photographer / studio it is. Photographers should be pretty understanding that you're just starting out but a certain level of professionalism will be expected. As long as you have 12-15 images neatly organized in a uniform presentation (a zippered portfolio case with clear pages is fine) you'll be good-to-go. Try to pick images related to the kind of work the photographer does. If it's a portrait studio then don't show all food photography, in other words. Also study the photographers work / website in advance to try and gauge what they might respond to.

Feel free to bring along some extra images but don't offer them unless the photographer asks for more. Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

Thread Information