Photo Contest Rules

There is a photo contest at the university I work at and below are the rules one must agree to to enter the contest. To me they seem a little extreme with phrases like “I agree that University Recreation can use my submission(s) for any purpose whatsoever…” and “…to be published for promotions including, but not limited to, our 2007-2008 Academic year photo calendar, an electronic collection of winners, online photo features and in emails and e-newsletters sent by University Recreation.”

To me this sounds like a ploy to develop a stockpile of images to use “for any purpose whatsoever” without having to pay a singe photographer for use of a singe image. What do you think? As an amateur photographer, one thing I have learned is to never give anything way for free. And by participating in this “contest” I am potentially taking business away from other photographers who the university would have to normallt pay for pictures they want. Not to mention that if an image is gong to be used in a calendar (that will be for sale) and published in newsletters and websites not associated w/ the contest the photographer deserves to get paid for it and just not receive a free copy.

Are these typical contest rules?

By submitting my photo, I hereby acknowledge my agreement to allow my photographs - and my name, city and state of residence - to be published as selected award winners on University Recreation websites for promotions including, but not limited to, our 2007-2008 Academic year photo calendar, an electronic collection of winners, online photo features and in emails and e-newsletters sent by University Recreation.

By submitting my photo, I hereby acknowledge, I, myself , my heirs, and assigns waive and release any and all claims and rights against the State of Washington, the Regents of Washington State University, Washington State University, the University Recreation Department, and the employees, agents or representatives of Washington State University (hereafter referred to as the UNIVERSITY GROUP) and I indemnify and hold harmless from all actions, costs, liabilities, losses or damages arising out of my submissions used by the University Group, including those alleged or asserted by a third party to be unauthorized.

Entrants retain ownership and all other rights to future use of their photographs. University Recreation shall have the right to verify, in their sole judgment, winner eligibility. All entrants featured in our 2007-2008 Academic year photo calendar will receive a copy.

I also agree to the rules, terms, and conditions that have been established for this photo competition. I agree that University Recreation can use my submission(s) for any purpose whatsoever and I warrant that the submissions are my own original work.

I am eighteen years of age or older and enter into this agreement of my own free will as a condition of participation in the Outdoor Photography Contest, sponsored by University Recreation and Campus Involvement. If I am not eighteen years of age or older, my legal parent or guardian has signed, agreeing to all terms of this agreement on my behalf.

If any part of this agreement is determined to be legally null and void, all other provisions will still apply.

Re: Photo Contest Rules

Yes. That's pretty typical. The goal of most photo contests is to get a photo for less than it would cost to pay a pro.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Photo Contest Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Yes. That's pretty typical. The goal of most photo contests is to get a photo for less than it would cost to pay a pro.
    I agree. The only exceptions and useful photo contests are juried competitions run through photography associations with pros on the judging panels where you do not give up any of your rights to your photos.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Thread Information