Need some advice on what to do....

I have been taking pictures of all the kids on my girls' t-ball team and was going to surprise the parents with a DVD slideshow of all the kids(each parent gets a DVD) but my husband brought up a point to me the other night and I do not know what the answer is.

1) he asked me what am I going to do if the parents want the original images, do I just give them to them, a copy, or charge them??

2) then that brought up, do I need a model release from the parents to be able to do this at all(give the video)?

I need to know SOON because the last game is this week and my video is already made but if I need to get releases, I need to do it soon. My husband thought that maybe since they were out in the public that I would not need a release.... I don't know.

Can anyone help?
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Need some advice on what to do....

I am not sure about releases, but it seems to me that if it is not for profit (sales) then you would not need them. I do this type of thing for my son's gymnastics team. If the parents ask for the photos, I usually give them a disk with the originals, edited and cropped to 8x10s. I do not photograph for a living and I do not take any for newsprint ect. Just one parent to another. I have been offered money for them, but like I said one parent to another. Last year the team did get me a gift certificate to the camera store I use here for my troubles. Was a nice gesture.

I think you will be ok with giving the DVD to the parents without a release. I think it is up to you if you want to charge through.

Just my .02

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Thread Information