Moving towards my 2006 goals...

From that thread in viewfinder...

One of my goals was to double my profit from 2005. I've taken the first step towards that.

A few months ago, I had read an article about a maternity center in my area. They work with doulas and midwives, lactation consultants, home births, that kind of thing. So I emailed the founder for some more info, and we emailed back and forth a couple times. This was before Christmas.

Spoke with her this morning. We have an appt tomorrow to go over everything. Photos hanging in the birth center, and possibly at the store they run as well. Cards/brochures with my information, ad in their catalog and on the website. There is a membership fee for being in their network, but it is, imo, fairly small. I was actually only looking to get in the catalog, but she had mentioned these other things as well, so I'm going to go prepared.

We'll see how it goes. But this is kinda big for me, as it would be the first time that I would be actively marketing, that I actually sought out.

I'm nervous. I think I'm going to pick up some cookies or something to take with me.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Moving towards my 2006 goals...

Good luck Adina!!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Good luck Adina!

hmmmm, cookies.....yum yum

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Good luck Adina.

I'm going to talk to a coffee shop owner this afternoon. First time I've done this so I'm nervouse too. I should learn some at least.
    ----------------------------

Went well!

I have two 16x20 hanging at the center, with my contact info tucked into the corner of the frame. Going to drop off some postcards this week. Also, I need to write up a small description for the website and catalog that they have, as well as include a photo or two.

Since it cost me a grand total of $0, I figured I'd try. I already had prints here framed, and postcards from when I did the gallery thing.

We'll see. I have some other ideas I want to implement this year as well.

Well done, adina. Glad things are working out on this. I have had a big injection of get up and go with the comments I have gotten on my b/w images with the Ilford. I am thinking seriously about doing some more of some other businesses and then hopefully see if they will allow me to put some large prints in their business with some of my cards.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I have two 16x20 hanging at the center, with my contact info tucked into the corner of the frame. Going to drop off some postcards this week. Also, I need to write up a small description for the website and catalog that they have, as well as include a photo or two.

Since it cost me a grand total of $0, I figured I'd try. I already had prints here framed, and postcards from when I did the gallery thing.
    That's great about getting your work in front of people. But the best way to insure you are a sucess in business is to value your work & time, and know exactly what being in business really costs you.

You say this cost you $0. But that's only if your time is worthless, you got the prints for free, someone else framed them for you for free, and you also got the postcards made for free, and none of that other stuff cost you any additional time, effort, gas, electricity, or other expense.

I really hope this is profitable for you, but you're better off knowing that time, phone, gas, prints, mattes, frames, postcards, meetings, and follow-up on future inquries costs ($100.00?)

This is like the opposite of publishers who want to convince you there is value in "exposure' vs. getting a check for real $$$$. Exposure ain't that valuable, and this didin't really cost you $0.00

Seriously, best of luck with your business, and big happy smiles to everyone in the universe.

Gary Crabbe
    Enlightened Images
    http://www.enlightphoto.com

Okay, so when I said $0, I should have been more specific.

I had framed prints sitting in my office collecting dust from when I had them made for another project. I had postcards from the same thing.

I don't consider my time worthless, and actually, I feel that I am fairly well compensated for it. However, in this case, it was minimum time and miminum effort. So for me, given that I didn't need to invest any actual $, other than the coffee I stopped for after I met with them, I'd file this under free.
    The half hour out of my day to try this out is pretty insignificant if everything works out well. If nothing comes of this, well, it cost me a half hour out of my day.

Right now, since I'm not trying to put food on the table, I have the advantage of being able to try different things. If it doesn't work out, well, no big loss. But there's no reason not to try it. My family isn't going to go hungry because I did this.

Adina, best of luck with it and remain positive. I agree with you comments, putting in an effort where no $'s change hands except for using resources you already have at hand sitting there gathering dust to me is a positive and what fruits stem from that small seed you have now implanted is the important thing. I only takes one commission to get the ball rolling, because if you do well, then the seed grows outwards. Positives are always best, leave the negatives in the garbage bin.

Hey Adina,

Glad to hear things went well and I wish you all the luck in the world with this venture.

Mind if I ask you about the postcards you're talking about? I would like to get some made up with my own pics on them but I don't really know where to start. I helped a couple local photogs create the back side of a post card in PS the other day. They are going to print them on card stock, and then glue a 4x6 print to the front. It would work, but it's not quite what I had in mind... How did you have yours done?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Hey, sorry I somehow missed this whole discussion up until now. Congrats!...

"They work with doulas and midwives, lactation consultants, home births, that kind of thing..."

Lactation Consultant, eh? Did you really think you could slip that one by me???

So, someone gets paid to do that? Guess they have to keep abreast of all the latest developments in the field, huh?

Ok, I'm no expert on lactation, but I DO have a fair amount of first-hand knowledge on where it comes from, heh heh. Would that be enough to qualify me as a "consutant"???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve

Ok, I'm no expert on lactation, but I DO have a fair amount of first-hand knowledge on where it comes from, heh heh. Would that be enough to qualify me as a "consutant"???

It very well could! Although I believe you have to volunteer to consult, so there is no monetary benefit, but that could be more than made up for in demonstrations...

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Hey Adina,

Glad to hear things went well and I wish you all the luck in the world with this venture.

Mind if I ask you about the postcards you're talking about? I would like to get some made up with my own pics on them but I don't really know where to start. I helped a couple local photogs create the back side of a post card in PS the other day. They are going to print them on card stock, and then glue a 4x6 print to the front. It would work, but it's not quite what I had in mind... How did you have yours done?
    Try www.overnightprints.com or www.vistaprints.com

Either would probably work well for you, although you'd need to design the back as well if you intend to mail them. If you print with the uv coating, you get a nice glossy finish, the quality is pretty nice. Although both companies have the occasional problem, I've never had anything but good luck with overnight prints. Haven't tried vista prints, but I think PJ was planning on sending something there recently.

Thanks for the links Adina!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    It very well could! Although I believe you have to volunteer to consult, so there is no monetary benefit, but that could be more than made up for in demonstrations...
    Well, if I wasn't getting paid, I guess I'd have to MILK it for all it was worth...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by adina View Post
    Try www.overnightprints.com or www.vistaprints.com

Either would probably work well for you, although you'd need to design the back as well if you intend to mail them. If you print with the uv coating, you get a nice glossy finish, the quality is pretty nice. Although both companies have the occasional problem, I've never had anything but good luck with overnight prints. Haven't tried vista prints, but I think PJ was planning on sending something there recently.

Try https://www.bannerbuzz.com/
    For all cheaper range from Business Cards to other promotional products with the facility to customize the design accordingly and submit.
    i have purchased few business cards from them and they are actually delivering the one which i wanted
    so if you wish you can reach out to them for your cards

Thread Information