Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Model release for minor, turned 18

What happens when your model turns 18? If you take photos of a minor and intend to sell them as stock, you need to have a release signed by the minors parent or guardian. But what happens once that model turns 18? Does the release you originally had still hold up, or do you now need one signed by the subject who is now considered an adult?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Model release for minor, turned 18

I haven't heard of any issues where the original didn't hold up. But to be honest, with the way the legal system is, and other things in our society I'd steer clear of any model under 18 anymore.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Heres another question along the same line... You're hired to take photos of a minor. A year later, you decide to use those images as stock. The minor has now turned 18. You didn't get a release when you originally took the photos. Who do you need the release from now? The parent/gardian or the model? I'm guessing that the subject would be able to sign the release for image of them as a minor, but I'm not lawyer.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Legally the former minor is theone who would have to sign the release even if said person still lives in their parents home. They are now responsible legally to the state and for themselves. So basically the release needs to be signed by them.

Thread Information