Thread: Logo Review...

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Logo Review...

Just made this up in photoshop today. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Logo Review...

I think it's a little...bland. I like the idea, but it could do better with some bevels or something of the sort. or more original font. also, are you gearing your shooting towards any specific type of shooting? Like a sports logo like mine is less "graceful" than say, a wedding photographer's logo, or nature photographer's. just somethin to think about.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Just made this up in photoshop today. What do you guys think?
    Not bad, but I agree it's a little too conservative. Almost corporate, like a bank or an investment firm or something. But if that's the look you want, so be it...

Now from a strictly artistic point of view, my only criticisms are these: there is too much negative space around the center intitials (IOW the green circle is too large - or the initials are too small), and the drop shadows on the initials are spaced too far away from them.

I also think it might be interesting to add a photography element to the log, maybe somehting like an aperture in the circle...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Just messin' around...

Hope you don't mind...:idea:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Just messin' around...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Hope you don't mind...:idea:
    Not at all, AS. I like both. Now maybe if we combined the two with having the first one with the black lines from the second.:idea:
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Not at all, AS. I like both. Now maybe if we combined the two with having the first one with the black lines from the second.:idea:
    Which gives us something like this:
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I personally don't like the outside font still, I think it's too normal or report style. Try something crazy!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Which gives us something like this:
    I like where your going, but, I think it would have a bit more impact if the initials were larger. I personally liked the original drop shadow, but with the smaller type, I don't think the drop shadow works very well.

Logos are so hard to come up with, but once you find one you like, it's well worth the search. Keep us up to date on what you finally decide on.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I really think that it is back to the drawing board. First you must decide whether your logo is going to be used mostly in print and if in print: black and white on a letterhead or perhaps in colour. It makes a difference. If your logo is going to be used mostly on the screen in a presentation, then a different look and style is called for.

Also, why do you have your location in there? Why not, your business phone number or a business e-mail address or even a web site that contains contact info.?

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I really think that it is back to the drawing board. First you must decide whether your logo is going to be used mostly in print and if in print: black and white on a letterhead or perhaps in colour. It makes a difference. If your logo is going to be used mostly on the screen in a presentation, then a different look and style is called for.
    To be honest, this wasn't the type of review I was looking for. While its criticism, its not very constructive and doesn't offer any hope for improvement. I'm an IT person, so graphic design does not come naturally to me, and this is stretching my limits at this time.

So if I am to go back to the drawing board, please tell me what is so bad about this one and what I can do to improve it.

Also, why do you have your location in there? Why not, your business phone number or a business e-mail address or even a web site that contains contact info.?
    I have my location in there because its not bound to change anytime soon. I have a tendancy to change phone numbers occassionally as up until a year ago the US didn't have number portability, and my email addresses can change frequently. As for a website, I don't have one completed yet, and when I do, it will be on a temporary host and subject to change when I can afford to purchase a domain name and hosting space.

Plus, I plan on having this on a business card and letterhead, which will include most of that information.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    I like where your going, but, I think it would have a bit more impact if the initials were larger. I personally liked the original drop shadow, but with the smaller type, I don't think the drop shadow works very well.

Logos are so hard to come up with, but once you find one you like, it's well worth the search. Keep us up to date on what you finally decide on.
    Ken
    Thanks, Ken. I'm considering making the center white space larger so I can make the initials larger.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

.................................................. ...............
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 06-19-2006 at 05:16 PM.

To be honest, this wasn't the type of review I was looking for. While its criticism, its not very constructive and doesn't offer any hope for improvement. I'm an IT person, so graphic design does not come naturally to me, and this is stretching my limits at this time..
    Sorry, I was making an unwarranted assumption. Laser black and white printing gives you limited shades, and more contrast to deal with. What shows up clearly and distinctly in gradations from one colour to the next, does not show up at all well in black and white.
    Muddy, indistinct, lack of detail and too strong shadows are characteristic of black and white. Bottom line is that either you create a logo from black and white right from the beginning because that is your main use and then worry about colour later or you create two: one with black and white as your starting point and one with colour as your starting point.

I have my location in there because its not bound to change anytime soon. I have a tendancy to change phone numbers occassionally as up until a year ago the US didn't have number portability, and my email addresses can change frequently. As for a website, I don't have one completed yet, and when I do, it will be on a temporary host and subject to change when I can afford to purchase a domain name and hosting space..
    A logo however should just include the business name or the business name and an easy contact method. The business name with not very useful extraneous info.as in general location is not tremendously helpful to a potential customer.

Plus, I plan on having this on a business card and letterhead, which will include most of that information.
    But again colour or black and white, because it really makes a difference in your potential methods for creating the logo and what colours and shades you use. Your approach to design must develop from the intended use and until you decide the use priorities, it is not possible to really assess your needs and particular designs.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953

Ken
    Thanks, Ken. I'm considering making the center white space larger so I can make the initials larger.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

So after taking a little bit of advice from everyone, and a lot from Ronocco, here is what I have ended up with:

Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Much nicer. I've done a little work on, mind if I post it?

Sure. Do you want me to send you my PSD file first?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

So after taking a little bit of advice from everyone, and a lot from Ronocco, here is what I have ended up with:

I would now, lighten the shadow to make the MP a little clearer.

More difficult would be a decision to put a dark metalic, slightly 3D surface on both the letters and the shutter graphic, but that is yours to think about.

Ronnoco

Sure. Do you want me to send you my PSD file first?
    yeah, that'd be much easier to work with. livin4lax09@comcast.net

More difficult would be a decision to put a dark metalic, slightly 3D surface on both the letters and the shutter graphic, but that is yours to think about.
    it's like you're reading my mind...

ok here it is. Stupid PS elements won't let me control the inner bevels with the PS file, so I did it on the jpeg just to give you an idea of what I wanted to show you.. Anyways, I added the shade to the diaphragm, just because I think flat colors look a little bland. Second thing I did was change the font because while it's semi-fancy, it looks a little kiddish. third thing I did was erase the connection points between the font and the line. small things, but it adds a bit. Oh and I also moved the line down a bit to balance the photo out. what I would still suggest doing what ron said, and lighten up the shadow to attract more attention to the initials.

Brent,

I like what you have done. I think it needs a little more refinement before I go with that particular logo design, but it is something I will work towards.

For now, I think I'm just going to go with the flat looking logo so I can get my stuff out by the first of June. I'll make a couple of spacing changes and post the results here.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thread Information