Logo Font the same as another company with the same name??

Okay, there are MANY Katz Photographys out there, and I knew that when I picked that as my business name. There is no other one in WA, so that is all good. But, there is one that I have found that has the same name as me (Katz Photography) but the logo and font of the logo are different.... however, the way they sign their business name on their pictures is IDENTICAL to mine..... same font and almost the same positioning. I prefer to keep mine as it matches my logo, but do not want it to be confused with another photographers work...even though they are in another state.
    They also use a different font once in a while but the majority of them are the same as mine....

So, my question would be, is there anything I can do... short of changing my whole logo(which is impractical as I have brochures, car decals, business cards, etc. with it on it)???
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Logo Font the same as another company with the same name??

Sure there's a way. Make the other Katz Photography change the font of their signature. Problem solved.

Seriously though, if you really think this will be a problem and you can't change your font, what about changing the positioning and/or the color of your signature? Or maybe you could add your first name or initial to your signature.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Do they have their logo trademarked or copyrighted? If so, you may have to change your logo. Of course that works both ways. If you have your logo registered, you could have them change theirs.

What is their photography like compared to yours? Are you targeting the same type of market such as weddings? If you have different styles and markets, I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you're shooting weddings, and they are shooting nature, chances are your customers aren't going to get the 2 of you confused.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are afraid of your customers getting confused and finding them instead of you. Is there web address similar to yours? For example, do they have katzphotography.com to your katzphotography.net? If that were the case, I think I would try to come up with a different name to try to separate myself from them.

Just my thoughts.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks - they do have a similar style but still different enough - They use multiple signatures to "sign" their pictures, where I only use the one, the same as my logo - I can't really change my logo (business cards, graphics, etc.) But, I suppose I could change the online signature - I am not overly concerned because they are no where near me(middle of the country) but I wasn't sure how it was handled - I do think I am going to register my logo just so that I have that "control" over it.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Just thought I would update and say that I have changed my font and logo (need to update some of my pics with the new one still though)
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Check best fonts for banners!

Thread Information