Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Limited Edition Prints

If you sell prints as "fine art", do you sell them as limited editions?

I started selling some prints last year at a local farmers market and did pretty well, but I didn't sell them as limited editions.

Now I'm getting ready to send in an application to be a vendor for a larger art fair. It will be my first time as a vendor at an art fair like this if I'm accepted. They have a new rule this year that states that all prints must be sold as "limited edition and numberd".

So, do you sell limited edition prints? If so, do you have any advice on how to go about this? I have given it some thought, and listened to a podcast that covered this topic so I have some ideas, but I'm always open to other opinions.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

Re: Limited Edition Prints

With photographs it really is an integrity issue. Short of destroying a negative or original piece of film, there's no way to truly prove that it is a limited edition. Not in this day and age. Part of the 'limited' agreement understanding is that the buyer won't see dozens of a particular photo later, or it appearing on calendar or in a magazine (some exceptions) years down the road.

Those organizers of events such as art fairs who want this are in my way of thinking are being unrealistic, even greedy if they get a cut of sales.

I often sell 'one' photo that is of a particular type, size, or scene. I may have smaller 'decorative' prints or postcards that are similar but only one of the best. If it is a commision then there are all kinds of markings and things that relate/connect the series and/or a gallery card that references appropriate details.

Signed prints and those prints following the time honored provenance methods of listing original sale and transfer sales later on on the reverse of the piece of work do add more credibility to the overall value. You can number to your hearts content 1/200 or whaterver!

There is the method of printing a limited number all at once of a particular piece of work and then numbering them via the mat or on their reverse side and not making any more at that time. This constitutes a 'limited' printing and in a particular size or format it would be a 'limited' edition of 'X' number of prints.

A few photographers have printed 'one' photo for sale and embedded or attached the shredded or otherwise destroyed film to the piece as a part of the work. That certainly limits any future printings.

On demand printing and other fulfillment options have changed this part of the market forever. I would take a very limited number of prints of each piece you have for sale with numbering. Have them matted and sign them in front of the customer as part of the sale.

Then note on the back of the mat when and where and cost. Then you have created the first step in a provenance for your work. You should keep notes of these transactions as well.

Any other specific question?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for your thought drg.

One question I have is, does the size of the print, or the type of paper matter when it comes to a limited edition print? For example, if I have a limited edition of 50 photos of image "A" at 8x10, on matte paper, can I have another limited edition of 50 prints of photo "A" at 16x20 on a glossy paper? Or would that be considered a limited edition of 100 prints instead of 2 editions of 50?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

I've always felt that an edition means that all the images (and this would include lithographs and screens too) are as identical as possible in terms of size and presentation.

Different sizes and mountings might be considered part of the edition if you have them all together at once. Otherwise this is part of what I'd call a 'printing'. The printing might be 100 prints, but the edition (like a book) is about the whole presentation. Books come in different sizes and as hardback, paperback, hand bound, etc. that make 'the edition'.

There are some harridans out there who have very strange definintions. If you have any question, write down what you consider a limited edition, with explanation if needed, and tell the organizers of the art fair that this what you sell as a signed limited edition or presentation, that the total printing is limited to (whatever number) and inquire if both of your definitions agree.

Does that help?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Yup, that helps. Thanks!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

MJS....

Good Luck at the fair.......

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Thanks Phil. I mailed in my application yesterday. Will have to wait to see if I'm accepted.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information