Thread: Jobs

Jobs

i dunno if this is the right place, but i was really wondering what kind of jobs you can get with photography as a major in college, i really love it, and i want to do it for the rest of my life and hope to make a career out of it, wether it be working for a magazine or a photojournalist, i dunno i was just kind of wondering the types of jobs and how they pay and if you can make a living out of this?

Re: Jobs

These days it is better to have more than one career on the go, at a time. I have done photography, photojournalism, television production, direction, and camera work, media production, media presentations, teaching, and consulting. At one time I was doing 5 different jobs. Inexpensive television production is about $1,000 per minute. Presentations are about $200 per hour + expenses+ the cost of media used in the presentation too. Teaching is about $75+ per hour, depending on the subject taught.

These are just to give you an average idea. There is a lot of variation and individual control for the photographer or producer.

Ronnoco

hmmm thanks for the info, yeah i see is how you could have alot of jobs going on at once, ,my only big concern getting into the field is to see if i can make a decent living out of it or is it better to minor in a subject like this

Quote Originally Posted by mondo1090
    hmmm thanks for the info, yeah i see is how you could have alot of jobs going on at once, ,my only big concern getting into the field is to see if i can make a decent living out of it or is it better to minor in a subject like this
    Well, that is really difficult to say. You need some talent, some confidence, organization skills, very good business sense and a committment to keep improving your skills as you go along. Combining photography with another skill is always positive. Businesses, organizations, and educational sectors always need someone with media skills as well as expertise in business, education or technology. I found photography, computer animation, multi-media production and presentation as well as languages was a very profitable combination.

Ronnoco

Some people make very good money shooting weddings and portraits. Although if that is something you are interested in, you're better off majoring in business/marketing.

Good luck!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Some people make very good money shooting weddings and portraits. Although if that is something you are interested in, you're better off majoring in business/marketing.
    Good luck!
    True, but the style and nature of wedding photography is constantly changing which means that it takes time and effort to keep up with it. Even liability insurance is becoming necessary in some areas and theft of equipment in reception halls has become a problem as well. One hall down from where I was, all the wedding gifts were stolen, last year.

Ronnoco

J!m

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    True, but the style and nature of wedding photography is constantly changing which means that it takes time and effort to keep up with it. Even liability insurance is becoming necessary in some areas and theft of equipment in reception halls has become a problem as well. One hall down from where I was, all the wedding gifts were stolen, last year.

Ronnoco
    AND it's a highly competitive market, which makes it more difficult...

I work for a couple magazines, and one of them is currently paying $75.00 a page- this is photos and the story as well, more-or-less ready to print. A hefty work load for $150.00 or so... (and obviously, this is assuming you get picked, and further assumes you get work in every issue (not likely) for a whopping $150.00 (before expenses) per month for your annual profit statement for about 2-4 days of work for that month. That works out to about $3.12 per hour- before expenses...)

if you LOVE ramen noodles, go for it. If you want to live comfortably and do photography as a business, you need a solid 'paying' job as well.

I do work for the above mag because the subject matter interests me, and I'm usually at the events shooting anyway. After I have my proofs, I submit them and let the mayhem begin. I have to have good notes, on the off-chance I end up doing a complete article.
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

hmmm thanks for all the input, i went to college wanting to do busniess and then adverstising but nothing has been able to keep my intreste with them, and photography has, i dont really know why, i find it fun, intresting and somthing new about it every day, id love to shoot for a magazine, or shoot sidelines at a sporting event, i can write articles but i wouldnt have my career rest on it, its a hard choice i guess, id love to make big bucks doing it but i guess it doesnt seem you can really? I guess i should find a rich wife who can buy me all my camera needs and support us, and ill be set ....hahaha... thanks for the info any more would be appercaited as well

J!m

Absolutely. The rich wife (AKA 'sugar momma') is the best plan. This is my plan as well.

Obviously, I'll never be married (or rich for that matter)...:mad2:
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

Thread Information