interesting situation

An interesting legal question that I am looking at. Producing and distributing a newspaper as a tenant on private property. What laws apply as well as what rights to free expression?
    Can a landlord refuse to renew your tenancy contract, for any reason whatsoever or are there limitations in law? Can a landlord prevent you from distributing a newspaper on land where you are a tenant?

Ronnoco

By the way, I should indicate that this obviously includes photography and possible criticism of conditions and landlord decisions.
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 08-21-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: interesting situation

I presume this is under Canadian law ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I presume this is under Canadian law ?
    Yes, but British and American concepts in law are quite similar.

Ronnoco

the first advice i would have is contact a lawyer. if you choose not to do that you should be aware this is considered only an opinion and not legal advice.

it would be based more on zoning than the landlord.

if you are zoned residential, any use of the property other than as a "residence" (this is defined under the very well) is subject to those zoning ordinances.

the worst the authorities would do is issue a "cease and desist order" and only continue with more action if needed. this could take some time.

now, as for the landlord. although there are many laws concerning landlord/renter relationships, be aware he ALWAYS has the upper hand.

he can make your existance miserable, non existant on his property and/or can, through networking, prohibit you from gaining future rental property.

you can take him to court but even if you win you lose on many levels.

if your paper was given away free, did not blast your own landlord and you actually gave him some informal notice, you may work out just fine.

you would do well to AVOID any impropriety as it can and will be used against you.

another method of getting the same thing done with little or no interference is a blog or even an e- list to those in favor of your product or even a small pamplet mailed to individuals at a modest cost of say $2-5, postage included.

this could help you out on cost, get your words out and avoid the problem altogher.

Thread Information