How to do a coffee house showing????

I am in the process of getting some blank notecards ordered with the intent of selling them at three local businesses here. I will be competing with a very established photographer from the Lexington area, so I am trying to keep my prices in line with his.

One of these businesses just happens to be a small coffee house. I have seen others such as Asylum Steve talk about doing shows at these places, but have no idea what all that entails. Would love to find out since that could mean something else I could do there besides the notecards. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: How to do a coffee house showing????

mtbbrian has done a coffee place show as well, I assume you mean a print show in addition to the cards. You might try sending a private message to both Steve and Brian, asking them to look at the thread and offer advice that they have. I've never tried this myself (I know, Brian... ;)) so I can't really comment on this.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

srobb,

Having never done that type of show myself, I'm not sure if I can give a step-by-step guide to it. What I can tell you is that there is nothing unique or unusual about that sort of venue that sets it apart from any other kind of "alternative" exhibition space.

Showing in a coffee house is really no different than showing in places like restaurants or bars or nightclubs or even retail shops or small galleries.

This may not be the biggest help, but truth is there are no rules when it comes to this type of thing. It all comes down to the agreement you reach with the space manager or owner.

There are many things to consider if you want to plan a show. These are pretty much elements of exibiting that would apply wherever you decide to show your work.

The first and most obvious thing would be to see if the shop owner is open to the idea of you showing your work. This might range anywhere from an informal meeting and light chat to a scheduled appointment to show your portfolio.

Once that's a go, you must determine the show dates as well as the amount of pieces that will be shown.

Costs are also a factor. Some venues act as show sponsors, covering the costs of framing the work (perhaps in exchange for a small commission on any sales) as well as promoting the show (invitations, media announcements, etc.).

Many places will also spring for a show "opening", a special time set aside to showcase you and your work to invited guests. They may even go so far as to cater it, providing beverages and food for your guests.

Speaking of sales, you need to be clear from the start if the work will be for sale, and if so will it be DURING the show and THROUGH the venue (some would prefer potential customers simply contact you privately), and if so will pieces be TAKEN DOWN off the walls as they are sold, or will all sales be delivered AFTER the show is over.

Another thing to consider is insurance for the work while the show is up. By this I don't mean an actual policy with a carrier, but rather an understanding of who is responsible if any of your work is stolen or damaged during the show.

My experience has been that few "non-gallery" space owners will take the risk of covering the cost of all of your work. On the other hand, you taking that risk may well be worth it considering what you have to gain from the show...

The key is to carefully consider all of these things, reach a clear understanding with the venue owner, and get the important points IN WRITING.

Usually, a first-time or novice exhibitors will be so excited simply over the idea of showing their work that they may overlook some or all of these things. Then one or two things go wrong, and bad feelings emerge. Or worse...

Hope that helps. I'm sure there are some good books out there on exhibiting in small or alternative spaces. In any event, let me know you have any more questions.

And good luck...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks so much, Steve, for all the info. Thought you had done one of these, but that is alright. Would all that you outline here apply to any of the other examples of showing that you mentioned? I have the possibility of maybe a couple of restuarants at least. Living in a small town can suck at times.

You mentioned retail venues; what exactly would fall under that? Just wondering if the local WalMart would qualify.

You have given me plenty to think about and digest so guess I need to get busy. Thanks again so much.

Local Walmart would probably not qualify, it's a chain. You'd want to look for an independant store. Chains generally have corporate regulations.

I'm working with a children's boutique, independently owned and run. When I approached them, I made it benificial to them as well as me. If you are looking to sell pieces, you need to approach it differently than if you want to market yourself. For me, I did their ad work for no charge. I've done so well with my display there, that I was more than happy to eat the costs for this, as I've made it several times over.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I also live in a small town, and the antique malls around here (2) have exhibition places and salesrooms for local artists. In one, it is independent, in the other, it is ran by the artists guild. Both places include photography. You may want to try looking for a photography club or artists guild in your area, they could help you alot here. Not only could they help you with your plan, but for really reasonable membership fees, you go on "field trips", goto workshops, network with other photographers, and do exhibits with local galleries. Our local photog club has 2 meetings a month and they also have open discussion, critique time, and assignments. I have not joined yet, but plan to very soon.

As for something like Wal-mart, (I work for them,unfortunately) it depends on the store. Many stores have events to raise money for local charities, and include all types of things, so you would have to approach the store manager and propose something that would be of interest in that manner.

Thanks adina and payn.

That is something I need to check on, payn, for sure. I really think that could help me in a lot of different ways. Thanks for the tip.

Adina, that may have really opened it up for me. The other two stores I have thought about for the notecards boutique-type places. They are also the up-scale of this small town.

Thanks again, guys, for the advice and comments. I need to study all this and try to come with a battle plan and some more images.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I had two small showings at a local coffee shop last year.
    The coffee shop made an annoucement looking for artists to show there work in a local city guide.
    I brought in some of my photographs and walked away with an aggreement for a show for three weeks later.
    It was pretty easy.
    I am not quite sure what you are asking, but it seems that your question was answered buy the others.
    I would have answered this sooner but I have been away.
    Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information