Thread: Free Service!!

Lightbulb Free Service!!

I need some opinions

Do you guys think that it's a good idea if I offer my free service so that I could just gain the experience?

I'm still new to the photography world. Well I have been taking pictures for a very long time but I just dont have enough real world experience you know. I was thinking of offering free service for graduations, weddings, birthdays, etc. Is that a good idea?

I have been paid to do weddings in the past but I dont think that I got much experienced from it.

I have a Canon 30D and a Digital Rebel, along with many 35mm manual and automatic film cameras.

I would only expect clients to pay for film or prints.

So what do you think? Good idea or no?
    Sean

Re: Free Service!!

By doing work for free you will probably hurt yourself more in the long run. People think that if youdon't charge money or not enough that you are probably not that good. People are usually under the impression that you get what you pay for, and in most cases this is true. To get experience I would suggest going around to some professionals you see working these events and ask if can tag along, and maybe be a second shooter. Sometimes the person will say yes, and sometimes no. Sometimes they might pay you a little something, sometimes not. But, I believe by doing work for free you will end up regretting it later. Your time is worth something just like anyone elses.

Thats my 2 cents-Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Assistant Work

If you want to learn, you should be working with someone who knows more than you. So I agree with zrfraser. Check with the pros in your area and see if anyone will take you on as an assistant - paid or unpaid. Offer to do a job or two for free, just for the experience. I did that when I was starting out and it was great. And you'll learn a lot more taking direction from someone than you will struggling through things on your own. You also won't end up with customers that are unhappy - even though you didn't charge them anything.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

You might also consider joining a photo association or club in your area. They vary considerably in quality but the very best involve pros, freelancers and advanced amateurs and provide a variety of shooting situations. When I was 17, I joined one. Models were brought in, along with lighting and equipment and even a steam train was rented for shooting in northern landscapes. The train and the steam made a great centre of interest.

Ronnoco

If none of these good suggestions apply to you then do what works in your situation. If you want to put yourself on Craigslist.com and low ball for experience then do what you have to do.

I stopped doing event photography for over 2 years. One day I told myself I wanted to do it again so I needed events to brush up. In the past 4 weeks....I did the following for free:

wedding (family member)
    baptismal (family member)
    100+ person conference (work related)

Now I have a bunch kids birthdays were I can practice almost every weekend for the next month...

I just kept my ears open and made any opportunity a photo opportunity....

Good luck...
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Doing work for free usually nets you clients that only hire you as long as you work for free. And those clients usually don't offer the kind of work that will get you any sort of worthwhile experience.

Finding a pro to assist is great advice. Also, check with your local paper, many photo departments are happy to have people interested in the profession get to know them, some even let you go out with them on assignments to see what it's like.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Ah, that's the key...

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    In the past 4 weeks....I did the following for free:

wedding (family member)
    baptismal (family member)
    100+ person conference (work related)

Now I have a bunch kids birthdays were I can practice almost every weekend for the next month...
    There is nothing wrong with getting experience or portfolio shots through trade-outs, self-assignments, or free shoots using "mock" clients. Manacsa has the right idea by doing it with people you know.

Free shoots with family, friends, or family of friends, or friends of family is NOT considered low-balling or undercutting the market.

True low-balling is when you offer your services on the open market with real clients and get jobs by continually charging much less than the market average.

And, yes, THAT will hurt you in the long run, as that's the value that will be placed on your work, and you will most likely find yourself enslaved by it...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Hi Sean.

It depends on who you offer the free service to. If it is to family and friends, then it isn't such a bad idea. If you offer it to anyone online, then you undervalue yourself and your work.

I got a great experience doing an internship with my college's Athletic Department as a photographer, but it didn't pay anything (I got credit, but that isn't really good compensation in my mind as I had to pay for that as part of my tuition). When I graduated, I had to twist some arms in order to get paid.

If you plan on shooting at events, you have to take into consideration your time, the cost of your transportation, the cost of your equipment, and how long it will take for you to do your post-processing. Is building your portfolio worth giving away your service?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

thank you for all the great advices. i understand exactly what you all are saying. and i will take that into consideration. after i posted this yesterday, i was offered 4 different gigs from coworkers. im not sure how they knew about me. the first one is to take pictures for a local band so that they can do promos and maybe album art. second one was taking pictures of a 4.5 month baby. third was portraits for a couple to make christmas cards. and the last one which is the biggest one, a wedding which isnt until next year. it is going to be a little difficult because i have never taken pictures of a band and dont know the first thing about it. do you guys have any advices?
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sean300
    it is going to be a little difficult because i have never taken pictures of a band and dont know the first thing about it. do you guys have any advices?
    I'm a little late, but can you give more specifics? I'm thinking that you mean a rock or blues band in a bar or club of some sort. If this is the case, try ISO800 with digital and fast lenses. If it's a small place you shouldn't have any problem getting close enough with a 50 f1.4 which would be by far the least expensive really fast lens out there (other than the 50 f1.8, also a good choice but 2/3 stop slower).

I wouldn't use flash - or at least not much. It's not so much that it bothers musicians (I'm a bass player - experience on both sides of the camera here!) but it kind of kills the mood. Sometimes you may need it, but try without too. Shoot a lot!

Thread Information