Domain name infringement?

Earlier today I thought of a perfect domain name for my photography website so I immediately went to GoDaddy.com to see if it was available. Unfortunately it wasn't. I then checked on a very close variation of it and that was available so I bought it. Afterwards I checked to see if the original domain name I wanted was actually being used and it is. My question is, can the owners of the domain name I wanted come after me for name infringement if I start using it? The other site is for an online store and is not a photography site. Thanks!

Re: Domain name infringement?

I wouldnt worry about it.

I'd say "No" unless the name is a registered trademark and your site could potentially be seen as diluting that name.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Well here's what i understood from your question:

1- If you are using as a domain name, the similar variation, then there is nothing to worry about. However, if you are gonna Title the page according to the other company's domain name, then you got the following...

2- If their domain name is also the name of their company, there might be issues. For that you will need to check the trademark laws and details.

3- On the other hand, if it is only the other company's domain name, and in your website you are using it without the suffix (.com) then there should be no issues whatsoever.

The most important issue usually is, would the name you want to use confuse visitors into thinking you are affiliated to the other company??
    My advice would be to manage the design in such a way that the name would be seen simply as a title you are giving yourself rather than the actual name of your "shop" or "business".

For most definitive answers if you still have your reservations, Godaddy has alot of answers, and are pretty good with customer support... at least I never had any issues from that point, and i call them internationally....

Hope this helps!
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thread Information