Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Competition small print ...

I followed up on kellybean's link to a grasshopper being eaten ...

And curiosity led me to read their terms and conditions:

6.2 You hereby grant DPChallenge.com a nonexclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any rights you have in the Member Information and Media, and otherwise to make use of the Member Information and Media (including publishing, disseminating, broadcasting, manipulating, reproducing, editing, translating, performing, modifying, or displaying any part of the Member Information) and/or Media alone or as part of other work in any form, media, or technology whether now new known or hereafter developed, to enable DPChallenge.com to continue the specific operation or marketing of the site.

How many people actuallly read this stuff?
    How few of those realise what they're giving away?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Competition small print ...

lol, not too many read that fine print, of course most of the people sending things in to these competitions seem to think it's like Funniest Home Videos where they might win $10,000 or something like that....completely clueless, and in most cases brainless too.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I don't see this as much more than a variation on traditional photo contests, which almost always include the participants giving up the rights to their images. Although this one seems to take it as far as I ever seen...

Guess that's the price you pay if you have that much of a need to get "approval" for your work and to be told it's "better" than someone elses.

Hey, can you tell I loath photo competitions???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think that a lot of people who are doing those kinds of things aren't necessarily aware of what that means. They may read it (or not) but not grasp the whole concept.

Could just be the thrill of the win. Would I enter a photography contest? No, I'd much rather get my validation in the form of a check.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Or a "sticky" here for that matter !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I think that there is a value for top level competitions usually run by photographic associations where no long agreements are signed and no photo rights are given away except the one time right to display and publish the winner's work for PR purposes related to the organization. These are for professionals as well as advanced amateurs by the way.

Certainly there is no denying the value of a check, but listening in to the lengthy critiques of judges who are generally recognized as top in their areas of photography helps one to refine their skills and look with extreme care to absolutely every detail in a photo and what it says about technique and composition either positive or negative.

Ronnoco

Thread Information