Charging for Web Photography

I have been asked to take shots for a web company. They need me to come to them a few times a week and take photo's of products for them to put on the web. I will be using my slr digital camera and then giving them all of the shots that I take. What should I charge?

J!m

Re: Charging for Web Photography

Since it's an ongoing contract, and not a one shot deal, I work out an hourly rate with them for your time.

Be sure to get (if their legal department allows it) rights to use the photos for your own portfolio. It would not be good if all the money you made on the job went back to them because you used an image that you shot without their permission...

Corporate law is tricky. get everything in writing, and charge as much as you dare.
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

Can you give me an idea of what a good hourly rate might be for someone starting out at this. I want to make it worth my time. I don't want to over or under charge. I want to be fair. I'm sure in an hour I can get a lot of work done.

Maybe these resources will help you:
    http://photography.about.com/od/pric.../a/a041505.htm

http://www.fotoquote.com/

It also comes down to being confident of your work, knowing your limits and feeling comfortable with charging. How does that old saying go, "Never let them see you sweat!"

All the time I get, "well, I'm not a professional protographer like you but I do like to dabble, etc etc." And inside I don't feel like a professional photographer, but my work is viewed that way in some circles so I wouldn't have a problem charging for it. Obviously before you get a job people would look at some kind of portfolio that you've put together and if they like what they see, then charge them correctly!

If you don't charge what you should then you're basically lowering the standards in which everyone else works and charges and it only ends up confusing the client if you charge them $100 and I charge them $300 for the same work.

Ron

And dont' forget... you're not just charging for the 4 hours that you'd be shooting the pictures.. but you've also got to consider the post production time in dealing with a photo lab, your photoshop skills to enhance the photos, and time spent dealing with the customer via phone calls, etc etc.

LOVE what you do

Hey Mrssjenjen,
    I was wondering how you went. What did u end up charging??? I think these sorts of things are a matter of self worth too.

Hope u went well

Thread Information