Another, yet different, 'what should I charge' post....

There have been alot of questions on how much to charge in certain instances of people giving quotes to potential clients, but how do you come up with a price for a print?

Basically, we are having a city parade type of thing, lots of vendors, etc. Well, we are going to have a booth advertising my photography, and I would like to have some prints for sale but how do I go about pricing them? Some are animals, nature shots, etc. Of course size plays a factor but I am not sure what to price beyond my own costs......
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Another, yet different, 'what should I charge' post....

Price it competitively to the prints that other vendors offer. You don't want to have prints that cost significantly more or less than what others are offering them for. Most art fairs around here, 8x10s are about $40-$60, 11x14s are between $70-$100. The only time I see them offered much more then that is with custom matte and framing, wooden mounted prints, etc.

*edit - oh whoops, wow, really old thread, sorry ;) Bump! lol
    Last edited by Anbesol; 07-09-2008 at 12:57 AM.

I think most importantly you need to log what you spend producing your prints and then decide how much to charge from there depending on how much you profit off of the prints. If it takes you 70 $ to make one print (i don't see why in hell it would but it's just an example) then you should decide how much you want to profit and if that's enough to make you happy. Say you charge 80 $ for the thing to sell, so you make 10 $ in profit and repeat . I suppose that's a really bad example because it should cost no where near as much to produce a print of that size but you get the idea

Thanks..... it is okay that this is an old thread...

I charge less then most places but still more then my printer charges me. My 11x14 prints are priced at $26.00, I think I get charged like $18, something like that. But people in this area just do not pay much more then that, and alot of people know that they can get them cheaper. I personally prefer when people order my pictures digitally, it is easier all around for both parties.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Thread Information