Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Who Wants a 1.3 cropped Sensor Survey

Just a little survey that I might want to pass on to Pentax...Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor and Why?

What would be the benefits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
    Ben

Re: Who Wants a 1.3 cropped Sensor Survey

I'm not sure. Canon has done well with their larger sensors and they do offer more room for development and ultimately better image quality. On the other hand, Nikon continues to increase resolution and maintain low noise levels. So it's a tough call. If the current system is getting it done, why mess with it?

The one simple reason to make a change is to give current Pentax lens owners better wide angle coverage. That was always one of the big complaints among people switching to digital - lack of wide angle coverage. Sure, you can buy the new digital-specific wide angle lenses. But if you've already got a great 28mm or 20mm, why would you want to have to buy a new lens?

The flip side of the wide angle argument is the long lens argument. A lot of us actually like the extra reach that we get from the smaller sensors. Smaller sensors give you longer reach, more depth-of-field, and smaller cameras. Personally, that's a win for me. As long as the image quality is there, I am currently liking the smaller sensors.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information