Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thoughts on lenses

I am going to get into shooting some sport photography, and I want to buy a new lens. I have been going back and fourth between the PENTAX DA Star 200mm F2.8 and the PENTAX DA Star 300mm F4 ...

my question is, do I go with a faster/less range lens or a slower/far ranging lens?

Is the speed advantage from the 4 to the 2.8 significant enough to compensate for losing range?

Also, does PENTAX make the best lenses for their products or can I find better lenses with Sigma or Tamron?
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Re: Thoughts on lenses

I think it depends on what you're shooting. When I started shooting motorcycle roadracing, I bought a 300mm f/4 because it was the minimum focal length that really allowed me to get tight on my subjects. And because motorcycle roadracing usually takes place in midday sun, a really fast aperture isn't that necessary. Furthermore, the 300mm f.4 was the best lens I could afford at the time

So why don't you tell us more about what you shoot and what your budget is like. You might also want to take a look at our Sports Photography Forum and see if you can find anything useful there. It's a really good source for action shooting information.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the response. I will be stretching my budget for any of these lenses, but I am trying to keep it as affordable as possible without compromising quality. I am realizing that this is likely going to cost me somewhere between $800-$1200 (unless there are deals out there that I'm not seeing)

I set up a program with a local minor league baseball team to let them use my photographs in exchange for press credentials, so I can build up my portfolio this summer. So, I suppose most of my shots will be daytime baseball, but I would also like the option of shooting night games...I want to be able to shoot all kinds of sports... I do not want to limit myself.

Also, I think the K10D has not been known for its sharp processing, and therefore not optimal for sports photography, so I figured a faster lens would compensate for that a bit. I'm just trying to get as much information and opinions as I can before I jump into an expensive purchase.
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

A fast lens you will need and more than one. With the access you have a lot of good pictures can be had during practice and warm up. A lens for close ups. group photos, etc. Being in the right position to take the kind of photos you want takes some thought.

You made the comment the k10d is not known for sharp processing ? Did you mean fps The k10d is not the fastest in fps but from those who have used it seemed to think they had more keepers. The card you use is also important. You want a card with a fast buffer. Machine gun shooting can be helpful at times but does not replace anticipation of action.

Good luck in you endeavor. It's been a long time since I shot sports in the film age.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Thread Information