Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

A Synopsis from my Studio Shoot

Well....The guys and a gal from Pentax came to my shoot yesterday...They were totally chuffed to say the least. They can't wait to get their hands on the final images. The K10D worked famously. If it weren't for that frippen 2 giga card that screwed up it would have been perfect. I found myself going more and more for the 16-45 lens. I basically used the 21, 40 and 16-45. I don't think I used the 70..too long for what I wanted. I'll check my Raw's to check. I may have used it once.

I will say this. The studio assistant wants a Pentax K10D. After she saw the results, well it was over for her. She NEEDS it! It is just fine for pro application. If you are asking how does it compare to a D200..Well equal or better. Less noise and what an incredible user interface. I still have to get used to going for the 4 way toggle for choosing my focus point. It is a question of time. Been using Canon for years. It's like changing girlfriends..oooppppsss sorry..

Banding..NNNOOOOOOO. Noise.....NNNNOOOOOO. Sharp....YESSSSSS. In fact, for the Pentax, I have reduced my unsharp mask to around 200 to 240 at .3 pixels. I do have sharpen at 25 in Camera Raw however...None the less, if you have any questions..You Know!

Ben

Re: A Synopsis from my Studio Shoot

I know! I have been lusting (the girlfriend metaphor again!) for the K10D since I started reading the reviews. I have a *istDL at the moment which is a fine camera, but the K10D is a certain upgrade (considering I already have the lenses).

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    I know! I have been lusting (the girlfriend metaphor again!) for the K10D since I started reading the reviews. I have a *istDL at the moment which is a fine camera, but the K10D is a certain upgrade (considering I already have the lenses).

Cheers
    Mike
    Here is a Non Retouched sample from the K10D showing dynamic range. As good as the Nikon D200 in my opinion.

Ben

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Gorgeous shot! I love the way it is lit.

I have owned my K10D for about 12 hours now and am so delighted I can't sleep!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

A question from another Pentax user re: Real Work situation.
    Larry wanted to know how the Pentax stood up under pro shooting conditions. This was what I said..

Hello Larry;

It was quite seamless. The four point toggle takes some getting used to. That is a question of conditioning after years with Canon. Focusing very fast and accurate. Nice RAW images. Worked just fine. It IS a professional camera for me. I am a professional. I used it today and yesterday for an important client. It did the job. It didn't blow up! It kept taking pictures without one thought of concern ever entering my mind. I shot over 12 gig of images and my batteries on both of the bodies are still able to shoot at least another 200 each.

Look..I shoot in studio and in interior locations. I really don't know how it would do under adverse conditions as yet. I'll probably never find out. I want good raw native images that will translate well to the printed media. Pentax WON five stars and not "JUST" five stars...Nudge Nudge Wink Wink, Say No More, Say No More!

I work for a living as a photographer...Can PHIL say that?

Also someone alluded to the the fact that the Phil I was referring to was a Phil from some Camera Forum...It isn't THAT Phil the Phil I am referring to is:

Originally Posted by NaClH2O
    Ha! Ben, that was very naughty of you. Don't you know that Phil is a important person over at that other place? You could even get banned for saying such things! wink wink
    On a serious note, I am happy the camera "worked as intended" It's always nice to hear that the equipment that I've decided to invest my hard earned money in passes muster from a professional.

NaCl(glad it worked out and the one image I've seen so far is stunning)H2O

Banned??? What are you talking about? I was referring to my cousin Phil Moscowitz from the Bronx. There must be some misunderstanding here...You know "Phil" my cousin who is a gear junkie, who has tons of camera's, never really uses them, really, and can never get his exposers, composition, subjects and general sense of artistry quite right. He just likes playing with them, makes him feel good. That's the Phil I was referring to.

Benji

Me with my green jealous eyes

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Synopsis from my Studio Shoot-green.jpg  

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Stunning work on your web site, Ben. I can't remember the last photographer I said that about...

Personally, I'm not interested in the camera. And I believe you could shoot with an oatmeal box with a small hole in it and gets good results. But I understand how camera comfort most definitely plays a role in your workflow. It's a nice plus when you're very happy with your tools...

Listen, I'd be extemely grateful if you'd consider posting some of your work in our Studio & Lighting Forum with perhaps a quick rundown of how you lit and shot it.

You images are very stylized, so I understand if you're reluctant to share your technique, but anything you could show would probably help a lot of folks.

BTW, is that a Czech name?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

and of course u did get banned pretty rapidly from the "other place" didnt u ben..

preaching the pentax prayer as vociferously as u do in the canikon temples didnt go down too well.. he he he

trog

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Stunning work on your web site, Ben. I can't remember the last photographer I said that about...

Personally, I'm not interested in the camera. And I believe you could shoot with an oatmeal box with a small hole in it and gets good results. But I understand how camera comfort most definitely plays a role in your workflow. It's a nice plus when you're very happy with your tools...

Listen, I'd be extemely grateful if you'd consider posting some of your work in our Studio & Lighting Forum with perhaps a quick rundown of how you lit and shot it.

You images are very stylized, so I understand if you're reluctant to share your technique, but anything you could show would probably help a lot of folks.

BTW, is that a Czech name?
    Polish-Czech...I will do so when I have a bit of time and please remind me. I am deep in Post Prod Hell, haven't even started to do the selections from the shoot. Retouching will follow and I am preparing for another shoot called "Diva" for "Style Monte Carlo" magazine. the last shoot I did was for Issue One Magazine that you can view at http://www.issue-one.com . the theme I did was religion. If you have any question just ask and don't forget your Amex Platinum Card...

Here is an example...Not finished.:aureola:

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    and of course u did get banned pretty rapidly from the "other place" didnt u ben..

preaching the pentax prayer as vociferously as u do in the canikon temples didnt go down too well.. he he he

trog
    Well here is what I had to say about Phil..Not the Phil from the Photo Blog, but Phil my cousin...ah from the Bronx....

Larry wanted to know how the Pentax stood up under pro shooting conditions. This was what I said..

Hello Larry;

It was quite seamless. The four point toggle takes some getting used to. That is a question of conditioning after years with Canon. Focusing very fast and accurate. Nice RAW images. Worked just fine. It IS a professional camera for me. I am a professional. I used it today and yesterday for an important client. It did the job. It didn't blow up! It kept taking pictures without one thought of concern ever entering my mind. I shot over 12 gig of images and my batteries on both of the bodies are still able to shoot at least another 200 each.

Look..I shoot in studio and in interior locations. I really don't know how it would do under adverse conditions as yet. I'll probably never find out. I want good raw native images that will translate well to the printed media. Pentax WON five stars and not "JUST" five stars...Nudge Nudge Wink Wink, Say No More, Say No More!

I work for a living as a photographer...Can PHIL say that?

Also someone alluded to the the fact that the Phil I was referring to was a Phil from some Camera Forum...It isn't THAT Phil the Phil I am referring to is:

Originally Posted by NaClH2O
    Ha! Ben, that was very naughty of you. Don't you know that Phil is a important person over at that other place? You could even get banned for saying such things! wink wink
    On a serious note, I am happy the camera "worked as intended" It's always nice to hear that the equipment that I've decided to invest my hard earned money in passes muster from a professional.

NaCl(glad it worked out and the one image I've seen so far is stunning)H2O

Banned??? What are you talking about? I was referring to my cousin Phil Moscowitz from the Bronx. There must be some misunderstanding here...You know "Phil" my cousin who is a gear junkie, who has tons of camera's, never really uses them, really, and can never get his exposers, composition, subjects and general sense of artistry quite right. He just likes playing with them, makes him feel good. That's the Phil I was referring to.

Benji

Thanks, Ben. So, we're quasi-brethren (my great grandfather was Czech)...

Yeah, I'm sure you're a busy guy. I never seem to have any free time, and right now I'm only shooting sporadically.

I'm pretty good at reverse engineering studio lighting, and it's obvious you make good use of snooted or gridded spots. Also, the styling of your photos is off the charts, which I'm sure goes a long way in helping you achieve your vision...

The series I'm wondering about is the Guardian Angels. Real dreamy and surreal effect. I'm curious how many lights you're using here, and how they're set up and modified...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Yeah, I'm sure you're a busy guy. I never seem to have any free time, and right now I'm only shooting sporadically.

I'm pretty good at reverse engineering studio lighting, and it's obvious you make good use of snooted or gridded spots. Also, the styling of your photos is off the charts, which I'm sure goes a long way in helping you achieve your vision...

The series I'm wondering about is the Guardian Angels. Real dreamy and surreal effect. I'm curious how many lights you're using here, and how they're set up and modified...
    Are you ready? Two HMI Cinema Lites (Daylight Balanced) for the background. One Opalite on one flash head (Pro-Phot) could be any brand, with a half blue gelatin filter to "cold up" the image at about 45 degrees and great fashion stylist, make-up artist, hair artist assistant, good coffee and ah oh yeah, I was there as well. Shot with the Canon 20D with the 17-40L lens. Now remember, it isn't the technique only, it is the quality of every element in the team. One weak link..Bye Bye shoot..

Ben

PS..Sorry, no snoots at all and gridded spots, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by benjikan
    great fashion stylist, make-up artist, hair artist assistant, good coffee and ah oh yeah, I was there as well...
    The model's not too shabby either...

Yeah, I know this all too well. One of the huge frustrations being stuck in Central Florida is the lack of good styling talent. Well, I'm sure they're here somewhere, just seems like they don't do fashion editorial print work. The money for TV and movies is just too good I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by benjikan
    PS..Sorry, no snoots at all and gridded spots, not really.
    Hmmm, you have quite a lot of spot effects in some of your work (thinking the dramatic lingerie shots with the wall mounted light fixtures). Do you vignette the light post process?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The model's not too shabby either...

Yeah, I know this all too well. One of the huge frustrations being stuck in Central Florida is the lack of good styling talent. Well, I'm sure they're here somewhere, just seems like they don't do fashion editorial print work. The money for TV and movies is just too good I guess.

Hmmm, you have quite a lot of spot effects in some of your work (thinking the dramatic lingerie shots with the wall mounted light fixtures). Do you vignette the light post process?
    Steve;

I visited your site. You are very talented and must find fashion, hair and make-up stylists that can at least get to the current designers to be at least on time to get in to the magazines. You can book some pretty good models out of Miami when they come down to shoot Spring-Summer fashion in the winter. You don't want the work looking provincial. Miami will have designers press agents to provide the stylist with Victor & Rolph or Dior or Lagerfeld etc...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ben. As you know, getting a career going (or in my case back on track) is like solving a jigsaw puzzle (or more likely a Rubik's Cube!).

I moved to the Orlando area after having a studio in Miami Beach for many years. After getting here, I took quite a bit of time off from photography. Because of that, I've lost all my modeling and styling contacts in South Florida.

I do, however, still have magazine contacts, but before I approach them I need to update my book big time. And that means testing...

The stylists in Orlando are mainly department store merchandisers, or as I mentioned before work in tv or film. It's nearly impossible to get them to print test. Especially without paying them...

Still, I'm resourceful, and have devoted a lot of my time now to networking to find styling talent. Things are starting to happen, so I'm not complaining...

BTW, I agree. Miami is where I should be working. Just need to make sure things are right and I'm prepared before I hit that market again...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the encouragement, Ben. As you know, getting a career going (or in my case back on track) is like solving a jigsaw puzzle (or more likely a Rubik's Cube!).

I moved to the Orlando area after having a studio in Miami Beach for many years. After getting here, I took quite a bit of time off from photography. Because of that, I've lost all my modeling and styling contacts in South Florida.

I do, however, still have magazine contacts, but before I approach them I need to update my book big time. And that means testing...

The stylists in Orlando are mainly department store merchandisers, or as I mentioned before work in tv or film. It's nearly impossible to get them to print test. Especially without paying them...

Still, I'm resourceful, and have devoted a lot of my time now to networking to find styling talent. Things are starting to happen, so I'm not complaining...

BTW, I agree. Miami is where I should be working. Just need to make sure things are right and I'm prepared before I hit that market again...
    Good Luck...Just keep it believable even if it is unbelievable...

Thread Information