• 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
    PeteE
    I would like to pull the trigger on a new lense
    I would like to fill the gap below 50mm. I have been studying the threads on this forum and others
    What I came up with choices between
    Sigma 24-70 f 2.8
    18-70 f2.8
    Tamron28-75 f2.8 EX DG
    Pentax smcp-DA 16-50 f.2.8 ED AL (if)

I would like to get the best bang for the buck. doesn't every one

I realize all of these are fast lenses. I would like to take pictures indoors with out a flash if possible. I would like some opinions on this pro or con My point and shoot camera is dying which I generally use for these kind of photos. The next thing for the lens would be out door landscapes and people pictures, flowers,etc.
    I suppose I could use a slower lens for outdoor photos. Also thought of getting a prime?
    Any and all opinions are welcome Pete
  • 01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
    danic
    Re: I would like to pull the trigger on a new lense
    Pete,

I've been looking at similar lenses myself, and when time and money permits, I'll be buying the Tamron 28-75.

I've heard some really bad copies of the Pentax 16-50 DA* lens, like, really bad!

I don't think the Sigma's are too bad, I've heard too many good stories about the Tamron 28-75 to not own this lens. I realise my copy of the lens may not be as good as anyone elses, but it does have a good reputation!.

Dan.
  • 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM
    spiraleyes
    When I received my first Tamron 28-75, the pictures were WAY too soft. I sent it back for a replacement, and my new one is tack-sharp. I recommend this one. I don't have experience with any of the others.
  • 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
    PeteE
    Another question ? I know what a macro lense.is or what it is suppose to do but.....
    Is it useful for taking photos at a distant. What are the limitations of a macro lense ?
  • 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
    Ron Kruger
    Hey Pete, I've been considering the Pentax DA* 16-50. Anything with the * is top of their line, and relatively expensive, so I'd like to know what you've heard?
  • 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
    spiraleyes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteE
    Another question ? I know what a macro lense.is or what it is suppose to do but.....
    Is it useful for taking photos at a distant. What are the limitations of a macro lense ?

A dedicated macro lens won't have limitations on use with objects that aren't close up. Macro just means that it has the ability to focus at a 1:1 ratio. You can still use it like a normal lens.
  • 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
    Shooter Tiff
    I have the da* 16-50 and it hardly ever comes off my camera. I also have a friend that shoots semi pro and loves his 16-50.

I haven't heard anything about bad lenses, but I am sure that if you buy through a reputable supplier any problems would easily be worked out through warranty. I have heard of people purchasing grey market lenses that are less than spectacular and that really comes down to not always looking for that rock bottom price on everything.