Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Should I buy a K10?

Hello everyone. I currently own a Pentax Asahi 1000 that my dad gave me 20 years ago. I love it and have taken numerous photos that were worth framing and displaying. I want to go digital and purchase the K10 (since I already have some lenses that will work -- even if they are manual focus). I recently read a review of this camera by somebody on this forum who said that he would not recommend this camera to anyone who wants it for shooting sports. Now, I want this camera mainly for this reason. I have a brother who races cars at the local track and I document his career by taking pictures everytime I can. Will this camera focus continously and take sharp photos under not-so-great lighting conditions? Should I reconsider the K10 and go with Nikon or Canon? I really don't want to go another route as I have read and researched this camera a LOT and really have my heart set on getting this one. My question, I guess, is will I be disappointed in purchasing this camera for action shots?

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: Should I buy a K10?

You will NOT be dissapointed with the K10D...I rated higher that my D200, and D40X
    It is an awesome camera..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Jim...I think I remember that review, but as I don't own the K10, I can only speak about my experience with the ist DL...
    I shoot a lot of sports and it has been wonderful. A little slow at times, but, if you're going to be using manual focus lenses...the autofocus slowness should not be a problem.
    I have captured many a soccer, softball, track and field events and 1000's of motorcycles and cars at highway speeds with few problems in out of focus.
    With Pentax's history and from what I have read here and elsewhere, I think you would probably be satisfied with your results.
    But again, remember, I'm am not a user of the k10...and am only at best an amateur at all of this.
    Good luck...and make sure you post lots of pics on here...especially if get the k10
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Jim, I have only owned my K10d for a few months; so far I really like it. I've used it for a lot of soccer photos and water skiing. My telephoto lens is not auto-focus so anything that was out-of-focus was my fault. Part of the reason I bought this camera was because I already had the lenses (with my ME-Super). While the camera will work with any of the K-mount lenses, it works better if they are at least the A-series (auto f-stop setting on f-stop ring).
    Watch eBay; you can pick up a 70-210 SMC Pentax-A lens for not too much money and have a pretty nice setup for sports photos.
    The K-10D is a really substantial camera. It feels right in your hands. All the controls and buttons are in the right place, easy to use and feel like they are well made. I really like using this camera.
    Using it with a manual focus lens, the speed seems pretty quick to me.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

Hey Jim, it is a great Cameara. I have three of them.

Go for it!

Ben

I just received a K10D as a christmas gift from my wife. It's a great camera. I was shooting youth baseball with manual focus/manual exposure Minolta's so this is not only my first digital camera but my first auto focus camera. It'll do fine for any sport you want to shoot. Sports photos were being published on Sports Illustrated long before auto anything came around. Go with what you desire. You'll do just fine. The gentleman that said that it will disappoint you with sports photography is probably quoting someone elses opinion
    Last edited by Dstrickland; 01-03-2008 at 04:07 PM.
    JUST TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE!

Jim,

I haven't used my K10 for action shots, but have been VERY pleased for over a year with what I have needed from the camera. There is an indepth review/tests at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/

David

I just purchased a K10D (kit) Friday, I haven't been out to take any pictures, just stuff around the house getting use to it. You can find on the web has some really great photo taken with this camera (of course with better lenses) http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/ho...69&language=EN Is there a Pentax thread for tweaking settings on this board? Forgive me if I overlooked it.
    Last edited by Snapac; 01-26-2008 at 06:31 PM.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Hey Snapac
    Welcome to the pentax family... There are plenty of folks here who you can ask for advise. The thing to remember about the K10D is that it is NOT a point and shoot...
    You can tweak it to your liking.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Pentax Forum Moderator

SnaPac...as Javier said...this is the place...on this board for pentax questions. We have everything from beginners to pros here including a Pentax sponsored photographer, Benjikan, who can answer just about anything you want to know. We look forward to seeing your progression with your K10D...
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

thanks for the advice, I guess I should have asked what lens do you guys recommend/

Rookie

JUst use the kit lense till you learn everything about the camera, it's a real good lens.
    Then figure out what kind of pictures you want to take. then ask us for lens recommendations. There are alot of lenses out there for all kinds of shooting.
    Last edited by Turkey_Lips; 01-29-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    CAMERA'S;
    K7, K100d, K1000
    LENSES:
    TAMRON 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II
    TAMRON SP 17-50/2.8 Di II & AF 1.4X MC4 TC
    SIGMA EX 100-300/4 APO DG
    SIGMA EX 105/2.8 DG Macro
    SIGMA EX 10-20/4_5.6 DG
    D-BG4 Battery Grip
    Metz 58 AF-1 Flash
    CACTUS Wireless V4 Trigger
    Feisol CT-3441T CF Tripod & Photo Clam PC-33NS Head