Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Samsung GX-1s Lens Help

Hi All

This is my first venture into the digital SLR field and have to confess that this is something that I am not too up on.

I would like to buy at some point, a zoom lens for this camera and I cannot find anything in the instuctions that will tell me what the fitting for the lens is or which lenses I can safely buy without buy the wrong one. I have found that the fitting may be a pentax KAF fitting and any pentax or sigma lens will fit this camera. Is this true? I have as standard with the GX-1s a 18-55mm Schneider and a 50-200mm lens but would like to get something for wildlife photography, possibly a 300 or 400mm lens, but one that also takes in a decent macro image. I am just baffled with some of the things that I have seen and therefore shy of buying through lack of knowledge. Ebay sells many lenses at knock down prices and it would be a shame to not take advantage of these offers.

I have a question as to the validity of some cliams by sales people that you must buy a digital SLR lens for this camera but surely there is no such thing as a digital lens? Glass is glass and to my mind the lens boils down to the quality of the glass and the sales people are just trying to sell a digital lens as the latest fad at over inflated prices. Could anyone enlighten or confirm my thinking on this?

I have many more dumb questions but I will leave them until later, but I would appreciate some of your thoughts on these first few.

Excellent Questions!

First of all, you don't need to buy a digital lens for that camera. You can pretty much buy any lens Pentax ever made and it will work. If you're looking for a super-telephoto, you can buy anything that's made to fit the Pentax SLRs - digital or otherwise. Personally, I'd stick with the Pentax lenses, although Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all make good stuff as long as you guy their high-end glass. And I think you're on the right track considering a 300mm or 400mm prime. At those lengths, most zooms aren't so great. The prime lenses will cost a fortune, but they will be beautiful. One exception, and a lens I've heard nothing but good things about, is the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8. I have been coveting that lens for a couple of years. Here's a link to the reviews:

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 Lens Reviews >>

Note: the review page is for the Canon EF mount. But aside from the HSM focusing mechanism, the lens is the same. The focus probably won't be as fast for the Pentax. But it should be as good or better than the lenses you have now.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Post a Review?

accuda-
    I just realized that we don't yet have any reviews for the Samsung digital SLRs. So if you would be so kind, please share your experience so far by posting a review for your camera. Here's a link to that review page:

[url=http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-1/befid-7185/pid-28949720/productreviewscrx.aspx?dnatrs=samsungSamsung GX-1s Digital SLR Reviews >>[/url]

Thanks in advance for the review!
    Photo-John

Re: Excellent Questions!

[QUOTE=Photo-John]One exception, and a lens I've heard nothing but good things about, is the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8. I have been coveting that lens for a couple of years. QUOTE]

Now here is a strange turn of events. I went to my father's this afternoon and was talking to him about this when he produced this very lens that he had attached to an old pentax SLR camera. I tried it out and needles to say he does not have it anymore, I do. I was completely blown away by the test images I took and I am glad that I took the courage to try it without fear of any possible consequences I may have had in my mind at the time.

Thanks Photo-John for your comments and links to the reviews.

Re: Post a Review?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    accuda-
    I just realized that we don't yet have any reviews for the Samsung digital SLRs. So if you would be so kind, please share your experience so far by posting a review for your camera. Here's a link to that review page:

[url=http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-1/befid-7185/pid-28949720/productreviewscrx.aspx?dnatrs=samsungSamsung GX-1s Digital SLR Reviews >>[/url]

Thanks in advance for the review!
    Give me a few days and I will be glad to oblige

Meant To Be!

Quote Originally Posted by accuda
    Now here is a strange turn of events. I went to my father's this afternoon and was talking to him about this when he produced this very lens that he had attached to an old pentax SLR camera. I tried it out and needles to say he does not have it anymore, I do. I was completely blown away by the test images I took and I am glad that I took the courage to try it without fear of any possible consequences I may have had in my mind at the time.
    Wow - sounds like it was meant to be. That's a hell of a lens to pinch from your father, by the way. You are aware of the price, right? You scored!

Post a a review for the lens too, please
    Photo-John

Re: Meant To Be!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Wow - sounds like it was meant to be. That's a hell of a lens to pinch from your father, by the way. You are aware of the price, right? You scored!

Post a a review for the lens too, please
    A home run indeed, I could not believe my luck. I will post a lens review also. The images from this lens are very striking and well worth a few words.

Thread Information