Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

replacment camera

Hello all you Pentax people
    I am just about to buy a replacement camera for my wife
    selling both the Oly 510 and the Nikon D50 both excellent cameras and the right size for her
    I Am not happy with Nikon's decision to market some of the there cameras with out a body motor.
    I have been looking around at new gear, I was just about to buy her a Sony A700 ( we have a A100 and its excellent)
    when she spotted a Pentax kd20, Now this is a birthday present for her
    so I did not let her get to involved, trying to keep it a suprise.
    but time is running out her birthday is soon... Now I in years past have had many Pentax cameras I still have a LX and an ME supra --GREAT cameras ( sold off all but one lens)
    Please fill me in with your best views and recommendations.
    NOTE--- the cameras store people where I live are an insult to all photographer's and Camera junkies like me, I am not a troll or a fan boy, Love all cameras and like I said I am proud to call my self a Camera Junkie

They belittle and speak badly about Pentax! hot pixels, over priced going out of business
    noisy not sharp all that nonsense. So I can't get any help form them, all they want to show you is Nikon ( my camera is a Nikon D300) and Canon
    please can any one brig me up to speed on the kd20 and Pentax lens:aureola:

Thanks you for the help

Kentucky Wildlife

Re: replacment camera

The reason Pentax is third or fourth or whatever, is not because their equipment is inferior, but that Canon and Nikon do a much better job of public relations and marketing. Stores are going to sell what they stock most (and make the most money from) and bad-mouth what they don't--but it sounds like you've figured that out.
    I don't put much faith in their opinions, and the reviews one sees on the net all seem like they are written more to impress the readers with the writers ability to throw around technical jargon than to inform. What I pay attention to most are the experiences of avid and professional photographers who have "tested" a camera long enough to really learn it.
    I shot Nikons for year, and switched to Pentax when going digital. I think Nikon, though they still make great cameras, are riding on the reputation they built during the film era. They're overpriced for what you get, in my opinion.
    I do believe Canon makes the best DSLRs on the market, but that Pentax is a better buy for what you get, and they offer some of the best glass on the market, especially in their DA* and Limited series.
    A lot of the reasons for choosing one of the four or five top brands depends upon intended uses. I've listed some of the many reasons I chose Pentax on other threads, but another was the advanced weather seals they put into their bodies and lenses. I specialize in wildlife and outdoor photography, working under all kinds of conditions, so the weather seals, and a good number of other considerations, including total cost of a quality system, were what pushed me toward Pentax.
    I've only owned Pentax for about seven months, but so far I've been pleased, impressed and sometimes awed by its performance.
    It's the Pentax company that seems to be making the mistakes in public realations and marketing.

one thing to re-consider,
    the K20 will be bigger and heavier than the Oly 510.
    I have a K10 (dimensionally the same as the K20) & a Canon XSi
    The size and weight difference is very noticeable.
    I like to take the Canon hiking & biking because of the light weight plastic body.
    My K10 is a tank, well suited for quick trips & for use with my tripod.
    I wouldn't want that strapped to me on an all day aggressive hike.

Maybe consider the Pentax KM (2000) or K200D,
    Both have a smaller body and weighs less than the K20
    625g - 690g vs 800g

Not the best pic, I never realized how hard it was to take a side by side pic,
    so pardon the cell phone pic. Ignore the Samsung part too
    (its a re-badged Pentax K10)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails replacment camera-k10xsi2.jpg  
    Last edited by hollis; 01-27-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Blizzard and Welcome to the PR...
    My wife and I both own the *ist DL's...I have only played with the K20D, but, I didn't notice a serious difference in size and I think my wife could handle it very easily.
    From what I've read, it sounds like you have already discovered that the Pentax is a much better camera choice than most salesmen lead you to believe. The proof is in the photos. Just peruse this forum and the photos in it and I'm sure you'll convince yourself that they compare to any other camera on the market.
    Finally of course is Pentax's commitment to keeping all of their lenses compatible with past and future technology!!! There is a lot of glass out there that is still in excellent condition and is comparable to the glass on the market today!!
    Good luck and IMHO, I think your wife would love the K20D!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks for the nice welcome
    well her birthday is creeping up on me ,middle of this month
    I went out for a 3rd time to find a k20 with no luck ,
    the only place the seems to have one in stock, it the most vile of camera stores ( a real Canon lovers store) in my 50+ mile max rage.
    I am off to one more camera store hopefully they will have one I can see and hold maybe take a few shots

the weight and size are a worries she had a d80 Nikon for while, she did not complained too much but she liked the 510 Olympus better ,except the view finder was very small and dull
    hard to see on a overcast or dim day
    wish me luck:cryin:

Kentucky Wildlife

You can buy the same thing online for much less, often $100 or more, than in a camera store. I live in the sticks and there isn't a camera store for over 100 miles. I've been happy with Adorama.

I've been extremely please with Amazon.

And I'll chime in to say that Pentax is great brand with great lenses and bodies!
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Pumped I am
    still can't find a k20 to look at

will hold my purchase off as long as I can
    One guy just one guy at a small camera store told me if I compare the Pentax to the Sony
    build and quality of photos except at very high ISO I would buy a Pentax

they don't sell Pentax cameras at his place, He swore that he sold half of his Canon gear and replaced it with Pentax k20 and get this it was a refurbished unit.

I can't believe he did not try to talk be into a Canon or another Nikon ????
    funny I don't what to think about this.
    your opinion!!!

Pentax Forum Moderator

I've purchased from B&H, and Consumer Reports just rated them extremely high. They even made the news here in Wisconsin!! Adorama has always been rated highly here on PR as well. If you can't find one locally, these may be options!!!
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I've bought from B&H, and I live in Australia! They have one of the best rep's in the photo world, IMO. I have yet to hear of bad reports from Adorama and Amazon. Another place you can look at is Cametaauctions. It's an ebay site, but they are highly rated on this forum.
    Nikon demo from Cameta Camera

They also sell refurbished Pentax bodies as well as new stuff.

For my advice on Pentax, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Weather sealed bodies, image stablisation in the bodies and a CMOS sensor in the K20D, you can't go wrong!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard
    Pumped I am
    still can't find a k20 to look at

will hold my purchase off as long as I can
    One guy just one guy at a small camera store told me if I compare the Pentax to the Sony
    build and quality of photos except at very high ISO I would buy a Pentax

they don't sell Pentax cameras at his place, He swore that he sold half of his Canon gear and replaced it with Pentax k20 and get this it was a refurbished unit.

I can't believe he did not try to talk be into a Canon or another Nikon ????
    funny I don't what to think about this.
    your opinion!!!
    As it turned out the sales man shoots Olympus and Pentax
    neither camera was in his show room
    and I made it clear I did not like the d60 or the d90
    the E3 would have been worth a look but he did not have one to show
    embarrassed I think

I still to date have not been able to look at a new k20 none to be found:mad2:

Smile Re: replacment camera-- Bravo

I found a k10 to day and your all right it's built like a tank

very nicely made!!!

Now to decide on a purchase! My youngest a real Sony guy claims its to heavy for my wife??
    the sales man was as useless as can be OH"buy canon OH by Nikon
    do you like the Pentax I asked "well he said It's hard to see, the view finder is not very big?"
    what about the noise over ISO 800 I asked? He said here look at the Olympus E30
    changing the subject.. I really wanted a demo on the camera.
    I will have to depend on you folks for questions and decide about the weight issue

I am a weak little girl ;) and It is no problem for me. sometimes it gets a little heavy, but I think it's worth it because I have dropped it, brought it out in the snow and rain, and pretty much put it through hell and it is still as nice as the day I bought it. I have even brought it to the top of fisher peak on my back with a full bag of kit and supplies for myself and it really wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Tiff
    I am a weak little girl ;) and It is no problem for me. sometimes it gets a little heavy, but I think it's worth it because I have dropped it, brought it out in the snow and rain, and pretty much put it through hell and it is still as nice as the day I bought it. I have even brought it to the top of fisher peak on my back with a full bag of kit and supplies for myself and it really wasn't too bad.
    LOL your my kind of photographer , full of the devil, I can see it in your eyes nice to meet you:aureola:
    how ever my wife is another matter fussy about the size of view finder and size and weight of the camera
    She wants a 50mm 135mm or something thing like that 2.8 mm heavy glass no matter what

if you will be so kind to full me in on the software. I very use to using Nikon Neff
    no shops full of photo no cs million and one.
    I do know the Sony that is in the running has poor software or so I have read and been told

your views please and whats the DNG thing all about>
    you might have guessed by my Handel we very often shoot high in the Colorado mountains not much rain but snow, wind, dust, and bitter cold minus17f with 50 mile an hour winds a few weeks ago so weather resistant is very important to me .

( I was taught to take storm fronts in the military a very long time ago and its still my passion)

thanks for your help Ms Tiff

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Blizzard...as for sturdy...although, it still needs to be sent to Pentax to find any internal damage, of which I think there is little other than adjustments, my wifes *ist DL bounced down the freeway at 60 mph. The only thing that "broke" was the plastic part of the battery compartment. The copper connections were still intact. Oh and there was a small nick on one corner of the case.
    Here's a link to the full story of the bounce and pics to back it up... Not for the weak of heart!!!

Also, look at spiraleyes post from today, just above yours. He has a K10D and equipment for sale. Maybe you can get a great deal.
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thumbs up Re: replacment camera

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Hi Blizzard...as for sturdy...although, it still needs to be sent to Pentax to find any internal damage, of which I think there is little other than adjustments, my wifes *ist DL bounced down the freeway at 60 mph. The only thing that "broke" was the plastic part of the battery compartment. The copper connections were still intact. Oh and there was a small nick on one corner of the case.
    Here's a link to the full story of the bounce and pics to back it up... Not for the weak of heart!!!

Also, look at spiraleyes post from today, just above yours. He has a K10D and equipment for sale. Maybe you can get a great deal.

simply Amazing, very had to believe, I must say I Am Impressed
    thanks for the tip

Thanks to all who posted such great feedback about Adorama - I do hope we can continue to offer you great service - but do let us know if there is anything we at Adorama Camera or at AdoramaPix could do to make your shopping experience even better!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Question Re: replacment camera

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster
    Thanks to all who posted such great feedback about Adorama - I do hope we can continue to offer you great service - but do let us know if there is anything we at Adorama Camera or at AdoramaPix could do to make your shopping experience even better!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com
    I have buying gear in the new your stores for years 40 years to be honest
    recently jumped ship from the other big store for poor delivery service
    3 day delivery means a week to them, over night that's funny
    I have not use the big Adorama in about a year but I will give them a try again
    good service I agree , Delivery is a big issue with me.we will see

Blizzard, I bought the K10d sight unseen. Read a lot of reviews LOTS
    I have that tendency before I put my money down. I was not disappointed high quality. One of the things I was looking for was the weather sealing. I shoot mostly outside. One of the other cameras I was considering I picked up lately. It felt like a cheap piece of plastic. I had a Nikon film camera before getting into digital that also was a sound camera. The camera is a tool and for my kind of picture taking Its a good tool. I'm not a pro and don't want to be. A pro is 95 percent work and five percent shooting. I would rather just shoot. The fun is in the shooting.

As far as lens go Pentax has some of the best. The other manufactures have good glass too. It's just a matter of bang for the buck. When you compare Apples to Apples Pentax is ahead.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Thread Information