Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax Limited 21mm Back Focus Issue

Just got the response from Pentax via their head office in Germany. They confirmed that there is a back focussing problem with the 21mm Limited exclusively. They offered to set up one of my bodies to work in conjunction with the lens, which I refused. I do not wish to take up one body exclusively for that lens. I am waiting on a firmware fix or a chip set change for the lens. I will use it in manual focus only. They are sending me back the two bodies and the two lenses i.e. the 21 and the 16-45 which didn't have a problem and focussed perfectly on the "0" calibration point. I will wait for the 16-50 f2.8 which I should have in ten days to use in lieu of the 21mm Limited. If it is anything like the Canon 17-40L lens which I used on 80 percent of my magazine work, I will probably do the same with it.

Ben

Re: Pentax Limited 21mm Back Focus Issue

I certainly hope there is a fix and whether is it to the lens or a firmware change I wouldn't care as ong as it is fixed. The 21 along with the K10D is one big reason I'm giving the camera a try.

I'm a long time Nikon user and I'm not jumping that ship. But the K10d was attractive the moment it was released. The Pancake lenses got me. The 21 has got to work. Isn't it odd that they'd have a focus problem with a lens as wide as 21? You'd think all that DOF would override any error. Must be one hell of an error.

So far I have the 43mm and a 50 1.4 but look forward to adding the 21 to the mix.

Re: Pentax Limited 21mm Back Focus Issue

Quote Originally Posted by neils
    I certainly hope there is a fix and whether is it to the lens or a firmware change I wouldn't care as ong as it is fixed. The 21 along with the K10D is one big reason I'm giving the camera a try.

I'm a long time Nikon user and I'm not jumping that ship. But the K10d was attractive the moment it was released. The Pancake lenses got me. The 21 has got to work. Isn't it odd that they'd have a focus problem with a lens as wide as 21? You'd think all that DOF would override any error. Must be one hell of an error.

So far I have the 43mm and a 50 1.4 but look forward to adding the 21 to the mix.
    I do not think the problem is endemic. It is specifically my 21 Limited that has the problem. I know some others have voiced concerns as well, but not sure if it applies to all 21's.

Ben

Thread Information