Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7

I've had my eye on one of these for a while, and finally ordered one off ebay for $65 ... from what I hear, that may be a bit overpriced, but that was generally the price range I found. The seller says it is "near mint" ... we will see. Either way I am super excited, because from what I hear this is a great lens. Also I have been using the same Pentax SMC 18-55 lens since i bought this camera over 2 years ago, and occasionally my sigma 70-210, but I am ready for a change of pace.

I am sure a lot of you have some experience with this classic lens, and I just wanted to get some feedback from you forum dwellers. What do you think about this glass?
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7

Hey Dubbs...great find...from what little I've learned, the M means it's a manual lens, right??? I've got 2 manual lenses and rarely use them, both are 50 mm lenses. But they are great lenses and take better shots than my newer DA lenses. Anyway, that's off my point. $65 is only too high if it's a bad lens and you don't get any use out of it, IMHO. If you are happy with the purchase and it's what you want...then it's worth every penny!!!! :-) Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. Make sure to post plenty of shots, please.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I just got my new (well its old) lens, and I love it. I have only snapped a few shots, being that it is pouring outside, but I am hoping it clears up later and I can get some nice colors in the evening. Here are a couple of examples...although they are not the most exciting shots, they demonstrate this lens' abilities pretty well...really sharp, works well in low light, and GREAT bokeh. I have a feeling this will prove to be the best $65 I have ever spent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7-bokeh.jpg   Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7-newlens1.jpg  
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Nice shots
    You realise it is doesn't stop down in Av ?
    It does in manual but you need to hit the green button to meter.
    cheers
    Pete

Thread Information