Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7

Printable View

• 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
    Dubbs5050
    Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7
    I've had my eye on one of these for a while, and finally ordered one off ebay for $65 ... from what I hear, that may be a bit overpriced, but that was generally the price range I found. The seller says it is "near mint" ... we will see. Either way I am super excited, because from what I hear this is a great lens. Also I have been using the same Pentax SMC 18-55 lens since i bought this camera over 2 years ago, and occasionally my sigma 70-210, but I am ready for a change of pace.

I am sure a lot of you have some experience with this classic lens, and I just wanted to get some feedback from you forum dwellers. What do you think about this glass?
  • 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM
    ken1953
    Re: Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7
    Hey Dubbs...great find...from what little I've learned, the M means it's a manual lens, right??? I've got 2 manual lenses and rarely use them, both are 50 mm lenses. But they are great lenses and take better shots than my newer DA lenses. Anyway, that's off my point. $65 is only too high if it's a bad lens and you don't get any use out of it, IMHO. If you are happy with the purchase and it's what you want...then it's worth every penny!!!! :-) Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. Make sure to post plenty of shots, please.
  • 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM
    Dubbs5050
    2 Attachment(s)
    I just got my new (well its old) lens, and I love it. I have only snapped a few shots, being that it is pouring outside, but I am hoping it clears up later and I can get some nice colors in the evening. Here are a couple of examples...although they are not the most exciting shots, they demonstrate this lens' abilities pretty well...really sharp, works well in low light, and GREAT bokeh. I have a feeling this will prove to be the best $65 I have ever spent.
  • 05-25-2010, 02:45 AM
    Transit
    Nice shots :)
    You realise it is doesn't stop down in Av ?
    It does in manual but you need to hit the green button to meter.
    cheers
    Pete