Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax K10D Synchro X Input

When meeting with Pentax, I suggested that one of the givens for a pro spec camera is a synchro X input, which the K10D does not have. They agreed with me and assured me that it would be available on the next evolution..

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Re: Pentax K10D Synchro X Input

Sweet! That's lovely icing on the cake, although currently I'm getting along fine with my pair of dedicated Pentax flash heads(AFGZ-360) so far, but I do a lot of throw down photography, basically, "I'm here, let's go." I've only had mine for a few days but I am really enjoying the "getting to know you process" with this model. It's very intuitive so far and even knows when I tilt the camera to portrait mode and automatically rights it in the preview screen. It's very difficult to preview for a demanding client when you are constantly trying to rotate the image in the back of the camera correctly to view random alternate angles. A lovely unsung feature I was delighted to discover and a definite improvement from previous models. I'm also happy with the quieter mirror noise which won't be as distracting to infants.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

LRY

For some reason or another I hadn't thought much about this since I knew I'd use radio triggers (PocketWizard Plus) via the hotshoe. But dedicated port or no, the main issue for me is the x-sync limited at 1/125th, which I "rediscovered" this weekend while doing some studio stuff. I think the dedicated speedlites can go higher but will have to test that. Being a Canon user also, I'm rather spoiled at being able to simply engage the high-speed sync with their speedlites and sync at 1/250th and even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by LRY
    For some reason or another I hadn't thought much about this since I knew I'd use radio triggers (PocketWizard Plus) via the hotshoe. But dedicated port or no, the main issue for me is the x-sync limited at 1/125th, which I "rediscovered" this weekend while doing some studio stuff. I think the dedicated speedlites can go higher but will have to test that. Being a Canon user also, I'm rather spoiled at being able to simply engage the high-speed sync with their speedlites and sync at 1/250th and even higher.
    I think it is 1/180th of a second..Correct me please if I am wrong.

LRY

Oops, you're correct Ben, my bad:

x-sync is 1/160th.

(Nonetheless, for outdoor shooters using studio lights midday, this is a bit restrictive. At times like that, I miss my Hassy...)

Actually, the surprising lack of X synch was the final excuse for me to get the Pocket Wizards. My flash came with it built in, so I only needed 2 units.

Now I wonder why I didn't do it earlier. I HATE getting tangled up in cords. I had one of those three-headed cords that meant you could keep the camera and the meter on at the same time, but it was STILL a pain in the arse!

I LOVE Pocket Wizards. Thank you, Pentax, for forcing me to make a decision I shoould've made a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by LRY
    Oops, you're correct Ben, my bad:

x-sync is 1/160th.
    How odd! My K10D has X sync set to 1/180.

Thread Information