Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax 35mm full frame and mirrorles.... rumor...

Link

Though it all seems to be attributed to a comment made by the head of RnD in an interview with 'Impress Japan' magazine, one can still hope. Sort of ironic considering their Q release. Still, I'm psyched to see if this happens. If they are the first to this 35mm mirrorless standard (at a decent price), that may bode very well for the future of Pentax.

If they make one that hits $2k-$3k, that would be great, if they make a sub $2k 35mm option, I would jump up and down and do a happy dance. That would make them the first to hit that price point with a 35mm sensor, I think it could definitely pave some inroads for Pentax and professional grade FF mirrorless options.

So lets begin the speculation! Will it come? Will it compete? Will it create, or pave the way for a pro mirrorless market? As much as Sony and Olympus have done for the mirrorless range, this will take it even further and in a very good way. Would be smart of Pentax too, being the first viable full frame mirrorless option, hitting a market that all of its current competition cannot hit due to mount limitations.

I am sort of talking about this all as if the Leica M9 doesn't exist, because as far as cost efficiency goes, it certainly doesn't lol. For $7k, you get a conveniently sized rangefinder style camera, that doesn't even come close to competing with the performance of DSLR's at the same price point (cost as much as new 1Dx and D4). I hope Pentax's FF mirrorless is price competitive to DSLR.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Re: Pentax 35mm full frame and mirrorles.... rumor...

hmm maybe this should be in EVIL and Micro four thirds forum instead.
    - Charlie

Pentax Forum Moderator

Thanks Anbesol for the rumor! Sounds great!!! did you happen to overhear any timeframe?? Although, $2k is out of my price range, I'd love to see Pentax impact the market the way they should be.
    Keep us up to date if you hear anymore.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    hmm maybe this should be in EVIL and Micro four thirds forum instead.
    You can make another post there if you want. But the Pentax forum (and Pentax) can use the love
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ken, I have heard no time frame, and the prices I mentioned were my own speculation. Hopefully we can hear more on this soon. With the other Fuji and Canon mirrorless announcements, and their choice to stick with APS, this leaves Pentax wide open for a full frame mirrorless. But, considering that the market race is on, and everybody is busy competing, Pentax should do something quickly. Their Q isn't keeping them on the map. I hope we at least hear something by this years Photokina, which will be September of this year.
    - Charlie

This would be cool if they can pull it off well. I've also heard it speculated that this would be a APS-C sized sensor too. I'd be happy for either! I'd also be happy for Pentax gain some more market share and respect. Sometimes I feel like people think I have a toy camera when I'm shooting my K-x next to a bunch of Canikon users. Of course, the proof is in the images...

If Pentax release a mirrorless FF there will be much gnashing of teeth
    Pete
    K-5 some len

ok, hello all

Thread Information