Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Other Concerned Pentax Users

I was asked at Pentax World if Canon and Nikon are that much better than Pentax in terms of focussing. This was my response...

Pentax is NOT "that much worse than the Nikon and Canon". It is and can often be better but... My demands are quite stringent as I am more often than not shooting under incredibly adverse dark shooting circumstances such as this...Shot with 17-40 L lens. To be quite candid with you, I found that the 16-45 was surprisingly sharp and responsive under similar conditions. However the hit miss ratio of the Pentax was a bit less than that of the Canon. I am quite sure that the problem is temporary and only exists on a small percentage of the K10D's sold. I think it has to do with QC in some cases and some adaptations required for certain lenses, like the 21MM Limited are needed. My 40, 70 and 100 are on the mark. There were several lenses associated with the Canon 20D that had similar problems. Let's remember that it is a new camera and it takes time to collect all of the data and find a broad stroke balanced solution to several issues voiced by Pentax users world wide. As a Beta tester for Pentax, I am able to communicate directly with Pentax and give them my feedback. I cannot however act on behalf of all of the users on this forum. The issues voiced here are often mirrored in my concerns that I have voiced directly to them. I cannot complain about hardware features that do not exist on the present configuration. I can suggest future hardware implementations such as Flash Synchro X input etc. But these are suggestions that can only be implemented in future designs that may or may not be implemented.

Ben

Re: Other Concerned Pentax Users

Can you post the photo that you referred to in the text above?

Still waiting on the K10D from Pentax. I hope to have it this week so I can do the studio tests and maybe take it out on the trail for some sports shooting, next weekend.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hello John;

Go to this link to view a Graphic representation. The files that I have are huge and you would not benefit from close scrutiny unless the full size image is shown. What do you recommend to upload the culprit?

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...388#post193388

Ben

Actually, I sold my Canon gear because I just didn't like it. And I don't care what brand you use, autofocus is a hit-or-miss proposition.

Most people use the DOF to cover the discrepancies, but for macro work or critical focusing, I rely on the Katz Eye screen. I started out with a couple of MX's thirty some odd years ago, so suppose I'm just used to manual focusing.

Autofocus is fine for events, or sports, where you can shoot at a smaller f/stop. I just don't trust it, whether it's Nikon or Canon or Pentax. Or Mamaiya even medium format cameras can be had with autofocus. Silly.

Thread Information