Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Newbie needs reassurance

Hello all.

This is my first post, so I will give a little info. I started being interested in photography 2 years ago after a received a digital compact as a gift. Since then I have slowly become more and more emersed in this "hobby." I have been wading through several digital photography books the last few months

I am at a point where I have outgrown my existing camera and would like to upgrade to a digital slr. My current camera is a kodak z650, which, while it has gotten crummy reviews, was a nice camera to learn on. I look some great pics within the last two years, and I even have firends and family members asking to buy some of my photos and for me to do portraits. I feel I have "maxed out" what that camera can do in the form of manual adjustment (i was suprised it had PASM controls, white balance, etc.).

I do not know where my "hobby" is going to lead, but I know it is definately going to steadily consume more of my time and resources. As far as types of photos, I love taking colorful landscape photos, esp. at night, in addition to B&W photos. I have lately started to get into macro photos. I do not anticipate getting into hardcore sports photography.

I basically want a dslr that is easy to use but has the capability to grow with me as my interests do. Price is also an issue, so i am looking at the entry levels.

After doing exhaustive internet research I narrowed my choice of DSLRs down to 2: the Nikon D40 and the Pentax K100D Super. I am all but sold on the Pentax, and am basically posting here to make sure I didn't miss anything or to be "talked out of" getting this. Based on my research, I think the Pentax by far is a better bang for the buck. Please let me know if I missed anything:

The Pentax seems to get very high ratings consistenly, although it is not as well-known as nikon or cannon. The pextax has has many more features than the Nikon equivilenent including 1) anti-shake---which makes nighttime picutes much easier; 2) auto dust removal; 3) 11 point focus (Nikon has 3); 4) backwards + third party lens compatibility (Nikon can only be used on new, special Nikon lenses; and 4) includes pro photo editing software (Nikon charges $150 extra). Nikon does have a much easier to use menu and a newbie "training mode" that graphically explains what the features do. However, the nikon camera is very small and my fingers flubbed all over the buttons, it has limited manual features, and is limited to fancy nikon lens upgrades. As to picture quality, it seems pretty equal, enthusiasts on both sides claim to have slightlky better image quality, but they both seem to take very nice, crisp images. The Pentax has a steel body frame, whereas the cannon and nikon are all plastic. The Nikon takes double AAs, and lithium CRV3, while both nikon and cannon require proprietary rechargeable lithium batteries.

The only thing I am concerned over is I have heard the menu on the pentax is not very userfriendly and confusing to newbies.

Any advice, correction are appreciated. And in advance I will apologize for not using the search function,

Thank you

Re: Newbie needs reassurance

Hi Newbie
    Over the past year I have bought 2 Pentax Dslr's and I am very happy with both of them.
    I started out on a Pentax *ist D2 & then upgraded to the K10.
    Starting with a point & shoot is a great way to get your feet wet.
    Now that you are ready to upgrade,
    I think Pentax has more bang for the buck than anybody out there.
    Did you know Wal-Mart has a deal on a new K110D?
    $400 :thumbsup:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...17483841199741

Going from a KodaK point & shoot to any Dslr will have a bit of a learning curve.
    There are lots of buttons to play with

It might be helpful to buy a guide book like this one...
    http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-...9906856&sr=1-2

Good Luck!

I am sure there will be a learning curve. I am familiar with the basic concepts and what most of the features do---my problem is getting the right combo of apperat, shutter, ISO and WB without taking a zillion picks.

Isn't the K100D Super a step up from the K10? B&H has the 100 super for $399 after mail in rebate.

I have read other reviews that state the 100 doesn't work well under low light, doesn't give consistent WB, and that the photos need some post processing to really "pop."

Do you find those to be fair cirticisms?

It is hard choosing a camera, because all the ones I am considering have good reviews, but they also have people who vehemently hate them.

The K100 & K110 are the basically the same 6 megapixel camera.
    The K100 offers sensor-shifting optical image stabilization.
    In my case, I'm not sure that would be a must have option.
    The white balance can be a bit warm, but I dont see it as an issue.
    I threw in the Wally World link because there is no rebate, no muss no fuss.
    I hate waiting for mail orders
    Low Light? I dont know there, I dont shoot much in low light.
    You can always swicth over to Manual Focus.

The K10 is the 10 megapixel "top of the line" pro camera from Pentax.
    Its flash has low light focus assist, my cat hates it.

hope this helps

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hello Cato...Your story matches mine almost to a T....I started about 5 years ago with a Kodak p/s, and like you, my hobby began growing well beyond it's capabilities.
    One of the best steps that you've already done was find this site. I came here almost 3 years ago. The help I received far exceeded any help that I've received anywhere else. Even when I was still using the p&s, the people here helped me learn how to use it more for "photography" rather than just "snapshots".
    I now use the Pentax *ist DL. I am saving for a K10D or next generation Pentax. I am sold on the Pentax's. I know that you will be happy with either the Pentax or the Nikon as both are excellent camera's. If you do choose the pentax, compare the differences between the K10D and the K100D Super before you purchase. As I understand, both are fantastic cameras.
    As you can see below...I live in both camps...Pentax and Nikon...I also own a Nikon Coolpix 8400 p&s which is one step below the DSLR's and has both auto and full manual settings. I love both and both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Good luck and please let us know what you decide.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    I am sure there will be a learning curve. I am familiar with the basic concepts and what most of the features do---my problem is getting the right combo of apperat, shutter, ISO and WB without taking a zillion picks.

Isn't the K100D Super a step up from the K10? B&H has the 100 super for $399 after mail in rebate.

I have read other reviews that state the 100 doesn't work well under low light, doesn't give consistent WB, and that the photos need some post processing to really "pop."

Do you find those to be fair cirticisms?

It is hard choosing a camera, because all the ones I am considering have good reviews, but they also have people who vehemently hate them.
    Hey Cato, I don't own either of these brands, so you can see me as an unbiased source of opinions on this matter.

I could say a lot of things here, but the net result will be this: Get the Pentax and don't look back. The Pentax has a lot going for it, as you stated, but it also has great image quality that beats the D40. This is not in terms of resolution (MPs), which has little to actually do with IQ, but instead in color rendering and tonal reproduction. The images are just better looking.

Forget user friendliness. What this equates to is a camera that will feel like a toy the moment you have it figured out. It is also a myth that a new user needs a simple camera. Every new camera comes with a learning curve, but learning is half the fun of photography, so don't be afraid of it. If you find you are overwhelmed by something, simply don't use that feature till you have a handle on the other aspects of your camera.

The best feature of the Pentax is that AS. Man, have you priced VR lenses for Nikons, it is not even funny. As well as the fact that the D40 is a tiny little thing. I have held one myself, and it felt like the kind of thing Papa Smurf would use at a football game.

Get the Pentax dude, trust me, you will not regret it.

P.S. Check the prices on Beach Camera's website before you buy, that is where I get my cameras, and they have the lowest prices I have found before you get into scam territory.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I'm also new to the realm of SLR photography. I bought the K10d just over a month ago and I love it. It has many advanced features that I haven't started using yet, but I'm glad that they are there for when I am ready.

I bought the book "Understanding Exposure", and it makes aperature, shutter speed, and ISO easy to understand.

Get the K10 and don't look back. Great camera!!

Thanks for all the info guys. While I have seen awesome photos with the Nikon, I just did not like it when i tried it out. I have looked at it 3 times in person and each time it becomes less appealing. I think I will definately go with the pentax--now the question is which one? I really dont want to spend more than 500-600 and would prefer clsoer to 5---i will check out the website you suggested.

Thanks again. I'll let you know when i have made my purchase.

After rebate, I got the K10d with kit lens for 600 on Amazon. It's a little more now, but in the long run, don't you want the big dog?

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I own the K110D, K100D SUPER and the K10D...My wife has a D40 and a D200...
    i can tell you that there is no way in the world the D40 is better than the k110d or K100d super...The D200 at best is equal with the K10D, but I give the edge to Pentax...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Rookie

You may want to wait for the new boys the K20 and the K200 they will be anounced the 24th. The K200 will be 10mg pix and the K20 will be 14 mg pix.
    But the K100D is probably the best beginners DSLR on the market, and with over 24 million lenses in the world that will fit it you can't go wrong.
    CAMERA'S;
    K7, K100d, K1000
    LENSES:
    TAMRON 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II
    TAMRON SP 17-50/2.8 Di II & AF 1.4X MC4 TC
    SIGMA EX 100-300/4 APO DG
    SIGMA EX 105/2.8 DG Macro
    SIGMA EX 10-20/4_5.6 DG
    D-BG4 Battery Grip
    Metz 58 AF-1 Flash
    CACTUS Wireless V4 Trigger
    Feisol CT-3441T CF Tripod & Photo Clam PC-33NS Head

picked up the 100 d super from b&H for $499 w/ a $100 rebate. It should arrive wednesday. I don't plan on making prints over 11x14 so, I do not really need the 10 MP. Plus for that price, i couldnt resist. More money to spend on lenses

Thread Information