Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

New k10d questions

Well I kinda jumped head first into a k10d with no experience with SLR cameras whatsoever and im a little overwhelmed. I had been looking to step up to a dSLR as Im getting into wildlife photography and had read a plethora of great reviews on the k10d, and was really sold by the water/dust resistance and the fact that its built like a tank. A friend of mine also recently sold his k100 super and had a couple of lenses I could have (for free!!) which include an older Sigma 80-200mm 4.5-5.6 telephoto lens and a brand new Tamron AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6. I purchased a floor model k10d a few days ago for $520 from a local camera shop since they were bringing in the k20d. Ive really enjoyed shooting with it in green mode the past few days, but im having a few problems.

1) I cant get the built in flash to work at all. Its not that its not going off, the camera simply wont shoot in dark areas if the flash is up. Both the pentax manual and Yvon Bourque's book on the camera dont give much advice here and Im not sure if my camera is broken or if Im just being dumb, which is more likely (see user name).

2) I cant get the digital preview feature to work either. Again, im pretty sure im just missing something.

3) And finally, any suggestions on a good macro lens for insects and close up shots of specimens?

Re: New k10d questions

When you have Auto Focus on, the camera won't shoot when focus is not confirmed (green hexagon not stay lid).
    Make sure your K10D has firmware v1.3 (I notice there's some improvement over v1.0 in flashing assist for auto focus in dark area).
    There are some lenses keep hunting and never lock on focus when in dark area. You may try another lens, or try to manual focus (no need to be perfect) on the the object, then switch on autofocus to see if the the lens gets lock on.
    Want to get digital preview, you go Menu, to (C) Custom Setting, scroll down to page 5, secect Preview Method, choose 2, hit OK.
    I'm not in macro much then can't talk about it.

Hope it helps

Ken

Thanks for your response Ken! Ive got the digital preview figured out now, but still no luck with the flash. I have tried it in each mode and manual focus and it simply will not take a picture if the flash is up and the camera feels it is needed. I am going on a trip in three days and I am really hoping to get this figured out, so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

*edit* After playing with the camera a bit more and finding the custom setting to allow the camera to shoot while the flash is charging, I am getting the feeling that my flash simply is not charging at all so it seems it may be a faulty flash and the camera might have to be repaired. Im still hoping to find a solution around here somewhere, but im losing hope in it being a problem with my settings.

looking at mine right now and besides putting it in auto focus and putting the lens cap on there is nothing I can do to make it NOT fire. My suggestion is bring it to your camera shop before you leave town that just doesn't seem right.

Hi Badatpictures, so you're saying that your K10D won't even shoot when focus switch set at MF and the build in flash popped up? Well, it sounds like your camera is having problems.
    I remember I've seen on some other Pentax forums that there were someboby had problems with some K10D operations, what they did were reset the camera to default, then removed the battery, put on charger to get full charge; when they put the battery back in, everything came back to normal.
    If I was you, I would give it a try to make sure it's not just a glitch before sending it for a repair (turn around time for repairing may take from 3 to 6 weeks).
    OTH, ask your friend if he has an external flash, borrow it and try on your camera to see how it goes.

Well I tried what you said about resetting the camera Ken and now the camera is shooting with the flash up but the flash still is not going off. I guess a trip to the camera shop is in order for tomorrow. Thanks for the responses Shooter and Ken.

Hello again all! Well, the flash was definitly defunct so Pentax is now repairing the camera. I did however get to use the k10d on a wildlife trip to southern Texas, and I really love this camera. I still feel like its a bit above my ability and understanding to use the camera to its fullest, but Im learning and even the green mode takes some amazing shots. I have a few new questions though. Im into wildlife shooting as previously mentioned, and im still looking for some lens suggestions. I need both a good macro lens for photographing insects and other small critters, and Im also looking to get a better telephoto lens. As far as the telephoto goes, the one I want is a bit out of my price range right now, so I started looking at teleconverters, but I have no idea at all about compatibility and such. I currently have an older 80-200mm f4.5 (I think) Sigma A series lens and I was curious if anyone knew of a 2x teleconverter that would work for that lens as well as any newer telephoto lens I purchase in the future. Im looking to spend under 200 bucks btw. Ive spent some time reading about the Kenko and Sigma teleconverters but am still a little confused about what lenses they work with and even how well they work so any input would be appreciated. Ive also attached a few photos from my trip just to get used to uploading pics to the site. These pictures have only been resized, so any input/suggestions/critique/well dones! etc. is welcome and appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New k10d questions-texas-006-resized.jpg   New k10d questions-texas-030-resized.jpg   New k10d questions-texas-103-resized.jpg   New k10d questions-texas-432-resized.jpg  

Pentax Forum Moderator

We really need to do something about your nick, cuz you're definitely NOT badatpictures. Very nice shots!!!! I can't wait to see what happens when you get the camera back!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks Ken! Im pretty happy with them myself but Im giving most of the credit to a fantastic camera lol.

Nice pics up there Badatpictures.
    I don't know about AF 2x Teleconverter, may be there're some people found a good combination of lens + TC. But as with my 2 2x manual TCs, I never satisfied with any image whenever taken with any of them. Instead, I found the cropped image from my Pentax FA 80-320mm much better.
    I've seen too many users of the $130 Tamron 70-300mm or $220 Sigma 70-300mm APO happy with them. One thing you should know is the Tamron reportedly has CA problem. I don't own either of them so can't tell you much. I'm currently so happy with my Pentax FA 80-320mm.
    Taken at 320mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New k10d questions-loversb.jpg  

Thread Information