Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

K2OD my ''own'' first impressions...

As is stated in the title, these are my ''OWN'' first impressions of this wonderful camera. The most important thing is all about Image quality...First, the most daunting thing is that some Jpegs are 10 megs...Huge from that 14.6Mp...This is very good as it has so much res, that it allows for 100% crops with crystal clear results...The Auto focus is way faster than that of my K110D, K100D super and K1OD..., this in spight of what pentax says..This is a pleasant surprise that I was not expecting...Next the High ISO is impressive and its ability to focus in Low light is another unexpected +.....

Now for the bad...The K2OD does not work with any TC converters, at least the ones I have...I also believe that all the upgrades that the K2OD received except the sensor could have been done via a firmware update...But maybe not...

I would say that for me personally, I did not really gain anything over the magnificent K1OD because it fits in with what I do, for my style...In the things I shoot, I would get the same results with My K10D, or my K100D super since I do not shoot when it is dark out....Now perhaps as I get more accustomed to it, it will begin to separate itself from my other DSLR's...Now to keep this in context, I gave away my D200 to my daughter because I feel like the K10D is the better camera and so I kept the good one....My K100D super I rate higher than my wifes D40....I have not had the chance to try out a D300, so I can't comment on it or any Canon stuff....

All in all, I do not regret my purchase, but if money where the deciding factor, I would have been better off spending that money on glass...

The images below are all 100% crops with no PP straight from the K2OD.... iF anyone wants to see an original 10 meg un cropped image, I can try and post it...

εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Re: K2OD my ''own'' first impressions...

Thanks for the writeup! Now I'll just save for better glass versus upgrading bodies
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Thanks for your impressions. I had already decided that the K20D is not "enough" of an advance on the K10D to warrant an upgrade. In fact, once the K20D starts coming through the retailers and the price of the K10D drops, I may well get another K10D body as a spare. It does everything I want, and more.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Mike, glad I could help.
    Blessings, javier
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Wow, those pictures sure are sharp. Do you know what setting you used? NOT that I'm getting a 20D or anything -- heck, I'm still trying to master the K10D....

Thanks,
    Jenny

Jenny, I was shooting in full auto mode.
    As far as your K10D goes, by default it is set in natural mode. May I suggest you try this.
    Put it in bright mode.
    Go + 2 sharpness
    0 contrast
    -1 sat.
    These settings I use to get some really nice vivid images.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Thread Information