Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Smile K1000- Where to find accessories and such?

Hi, I'm getting a Pentax K1000 this Christmas and I'm wondering where I would find... anything I would want for it?

In particular, I'm wondering about

• lenses
    • a tripod
    • a flash

Just eBay? If so, what should I search for, and how do I tell whether they're legitimate or not? Would any shops still sell compatible, good quality merchandise?

If you can find a lens (prime is okay) other than the standard 50 mm online at a reasonable price that you think is legitimate, could you please send a link my way? Same goes for any of the other things I've listed.

Also, can anyone recommend me a camera bag? Something reasonably priced and sized for the K1000 and some accessories and lenses?

Thanks very much! Any other information you have in this area would be great, too.

Re: K1000- Where to find accessories and such?

KEH, Adorama and B&H Photo Video sells used equipment. I have bought from all three.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I purchase my lenses and gear from Amazon. Excellent prices, customer service, and shipping time/rates.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Be sure and check out the camera dealer forums here at Photography Review before any purchases. There are a lot of crooks out there. You can also write reviews for older equipment too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the help, guys. I was wondering about this lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-110-24mm-...ayphotohosting

For one, is it compatible with my camera? And is its quality good/ would you guys recommend it?

Thanks again

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi snoopydance...and welcome to PR...I'm not sure about that lens in particular. It may be an old screw mount and if so, you would need an adapter to make it fit your new camera. One of the nice thing about Pentax is that most of their lenses will fit all of their cameras. The only problems you run into is that you may not be able to use the automatic features of the lens/camera and you may have to change some settings in your camera to make it work properly.
    We do have several K1000 users here on the forum and I'm sure they will be happy to help you learn your new camera.
    Remember, when buying off any auction site, that it is buyer beware. I believe that is a pretty old lens, even though it looks in nice shape, you can't tell anything just by looking.
    As for the fit, as I said, with an adapter, almost any Pentax lens fits any Pentax camera with only a few exceptions.
    The suggestions made by the others are excellent choices for places to buy gear. Also, since you are new to Pentax gear, we are more than happy to help you figure out what is your best buy. Feel free to jump in and ask us anything. We will always try our best to help you out!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks a lot, ken1953

Does anyone know for sure about the lens I posted? Or could anyone find me a listing of a reasonably priced, compatible lens?

What about this here:
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

And can someone point me toward a compatible tripod?

Thanks, sorry for asking so many questions...
    Last edited by Snoopydance; 11-27-2008 at 04:46 PM.

The auction doesn't specify if it's a K mount lens. I'd pass and look for another. There are HUNDREDS of older lenses on eBay that are K mount and will work great with your camera. If you are new to SLR photography, I'd recommend buying a new, auto focus model until you are comfortable with the manual focus.

Pretty much any tripod will be compatible with your camera. B&H and Amazon have great selections.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Sorry, but I've kind of had my heart set on this camera for a while and I'm tangled up in an arrangement to buy it. It'd be pretty awkward to cancel that now, and besides, I'd really like to learn all about every component of an SLR camera, including focusing manually.

How much should these lenses be costing? I mean, since the camera itself is only going to be costing ~$100... I haven't used ebay much so I don't know if I'm just not searching for the right things, but I don't seem to be finding the right lenses.

Thanks for the advice about the tripod.

Welcome to PR I'm not personally familiar with Pentax cameras and lenses but, thought this link might help you out :

PENTAX LENS COMPATIBILITY CHART

Will you be developing your own film? Hope you stop back by when you get the new cam and share some pics. Don't be afraid to stop by the Film Forum too :thumbsup:

Happy Shooting,
    Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

For black and white, possibly, because my school has a photo lab set up. I don't have photography class though, so I'd have to come in on my own time, which would be a little difficult to manage.

Thanks for the link, I hope it'll help

I know I keep giving links, but this is the closest, most obviously compatible lens I've found so far. I think I may be able to get this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Asahi-SMC-Pentax...ayphotohosting

Thanks for helping, everyone, and I will definitely try and show you guys some photos once I get all set up (it will be after Christmas)

I'll probably have some more questions to post here over time

HI Snoopy, what you want to do, is take any lens you find and pull up the link I posted. In the case of the lens you just posted, it is an M series/mount. The top row shows your camera, the K1000, then if you scroll across the columns to the end, you will see one for "M,K" series lenses. Looks like that lens you just posted would work fine. Actually, looking at the chart, it seems like any manual focus pentax 35mm lens should work fine, though I'm not 100% on that as like I said, I'm not familiar with Pentax systems, just going by the chart.

Also, you don't need a darkroom to develop film, I do mine at the kitchen sink. It's a piece of cake and will save you a bunch over paying a lab to do it, at least with B&W film anyway.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hey Snoopy, don't worry about posting the links. We are glad to look at them and try to help you make an informed decision!!! Xia_Ke had given you a wonderful resource for the lenses and Pentax does have a nice "Historical Lens and Camera" section.
    Feel free to keep asking those questions...that's what we're here for.
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Snoopy, looking at both those lenses, I'd stay away from the Takumar, simply because of the sellers stated condition (BGN). It sounds like it has been used kind of hard.
    If the second lens is compatible and you want to get into nothing but manual focus, the second lens sounds ok and the dealer does have a good rating.
    Above, spiraleyes made a suggestion that you consider autofocus lenses until you became familiar with your camera and lenses in general. This is an excellent suggestion. So be on the look out for KA and K mount lenses. These will offer you the widest range of possibilities for the K-1000.
    Good luck,
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Personally I wouldn't bother with the AF lenses. The K1000 is a manual focus camera, so an AF lens would have to be used as a manual focus. Also, chances are you will pay more than a manual version. I would take a look at KEH and see what they have available. When you see something you want, give them a call. They should be able to let you know whether it will work. Another possibility is to watch auction on Ebay for k1000 outfits. A lot of times you could pick up a camera with a few lenses for cheaper than it would cost you to buy 2 lenses separately. Then you would have a spare body as well.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Personally I wouldn't bother with the AF lenses. The K1000 is a manual focus camera, so an AF lens would have to be used as a manual focus. Also, chances are you will pay more than a manual version. I would take a look at KEH and see what they have available. When you see something you want, give them a call. They should be able to let you know whether it will work. Another possibility is to watch auction on Ebay for k1000 outfits. A lot of times you could pick up a camera with a few lenses for cheaper than it would cost you to buy 2 lenses separately. Then you would have a spare body as well.
    Haha, You're probably right about that last part. I wouldn't know what to do with the extra body, though! I guess if, for instance, I bought a set-up with two lenses, including the 50mm prime, I'd just resell it.

Snoopy, looking at both those lenses, I'd stay away from the Takumar, simply because of the sellers stated condition (BGN). It sounds like it has been used kind of hard.
    If the second lens is compatible and you want to get into nothing but manual focus, the second lens sounds ok and the dealer does have a good rating.
    Above, spiraleyes made a suggestion that you consider autofocus lenses until you became familiar with your camera and lenses in general. This is an excellent suggestion. So be on the look out for KA and K mount lenses. These will offer you the widest range of possibilities for the K-1000.
    Good luck,
    As xia_ke said, the K1000 can only do manual focus, so it'd be kind of pointless to buy an automatic focus lens. I think you're right about the Takumar, though, I don't want to take that kind of chance. It sounds like I might be able to get that lens for Christmas, so I can worry about what kind of accessories I want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopydance
    I think you're right about the Takumar, though, I don't want to take that kind of chance.
    I've bought BGN grade cameras and lenses from KEH and would do so again without hesitation.

Oh? So you're saying there wasn't anything wrong with the actual lens, just the outside being a little beat up? Maybe I should reconsider spending the extra 30 dollars...

What do you think?

Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I would, except the exact same lens is coming with the camera

That lens came with the camera for a long time, apparently, but yeah, thanks anyway

Oh? So you're saying there wasn't anything wrong with the actual lens, just the outside being a little beat up? Maybe I should reconsider spending the extra 30 dollars...
    Only one BGN graded item (a Nikon F3HP) I bought from KEH had any functional defect. It was not serious enough for me to bother to return it.

The rest of the equipment I've bought from them has only had minor cosmetic issues.

So, everyone, faced with that info, what would you recommend? They're pretty much the same lens, except the one called Pentax is manufactured a couple years later and costs $30 more. They're both made by the same company and have the same features. KEH says BGN implies damage that should not affect function.

I would, except the exact same lens is coming with the camera

That lens came with the camera for a long time, apparently, but yeah, thanks anyway
    Sorry, just noticed in your original post that you had the 50. In that case, I wouldn't get any extra lenses yet. I would spend the money on film, B&W developing supplies, or a tripod instead. The 50 is a very versatile lens. I would shoot with that until you find the need for a different focal length.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Pentax Forum Moderator

Thanx Xia_Ke for correcting me. I'm not real familiar with the K1000 and didn't realize it was a manual focus camera.
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Sorry, just noticed in your original post that you had the 50. In that case, I wouldn't get any extra lenses yet. I would spend the money on film, B&W developing supplies, or a tripod instead. The 50 is a very versatile lens. I would shoot with that until you find the need for a different focal length.
    The thing is, I think I'm already going to be able to use the photo lab at school and I'm not sure I want to have all that stuff at my house. I don't even know where I'd put it where it wouldn't be in the way of something. I'm also getting some stuff from other family members I know for Christmas, so in the way of accessories, the only thing I really have to decide on myself is another lens. Maybe I should save the money until a later date, but I'm just saying.
    "Oh, wouldn't it be great if I was crazy? Then the world would be okay. "

Thread Information