Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Unhappy I'm Jumping Ship

    :blush2: Not sure if I'm going to get chased out of the Pentax subforum for posting this, I just wanted to let you all know that I'll have my gear up for sale soon. I have only had my K10d for just over a year now, but I need to move in a different direction.

    If anyone wants to call dibs on any of the following, shoot me a PM. I'll update the list with prices later, but you are welcome to make offers now.

    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 This lens is legendary for Pentax shooters. Very sharp, in excellent like-new condition. $315

    Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited (Pancake lens) Excellent prime lens, excellent like-new condition. $175

    Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. New condition - I've mounted this lens only 2 times. $375

    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC. This wide angle lens is my favorite lens and I'll miss having it. Excellent condition. $375

    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro. New. $125

    Pentax K10D with kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Purchased in Dec of '07. Around 8,000 actuations. Excellent condition. Comes with original box, documentation, and everything else that came with the camera. $550
    Last edited by spiraleyes; 02-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  2. #2
    Surfs Mtbr Naked hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Asheville
    Posts
    185

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    where do you find the number of actuations?
    I think I'm only on 810? :blush2:
    Last edited by hollis; 02-05-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    I'm just going off of the picture file number. Don't they start at 001?
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  4. #4
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,750

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    What do the file names do after 9999 ?
    PAul

    Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    What do the file names do after 9999 ?
    Start all over. At least that's what my Panny is supposed to do.

    However, I really doubt if anyone could shoot so much on one camera.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Original post updated with prices.
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Now I am a bit curious, if you don't mind me asking, why are you switching to another brand? Is it the slow fps on all PENTAX cameras? Fewer lens selection? Poor or nonexistent live view? The new "video craze"?

    I ask because I'm currently tearing myself apart on trying to decide whether to actually start investing money on PENTAX stuff, or hop over to Canon instead. I kind of like "sticking out", something which is impossible to do being a Canikonianite, but if they're gear is better...

  8. #8
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,750

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    And here's me thinking that if I was buying today I'd probably buy the Sony Alpha 900 instead of Canon - does the brand really matter ?
    PAul

    Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    Now I am a bit curious, if you don't mind me asking, why are you switching to another brand? Is it the slow fps on all PENTAX cameras? Fewer lens selection? Poor or nonexistent live view? The new "video craze"?

    I ask because I'm currently tearing myself apart on trying to decide whether to actually start investing money on PENTAX stuff, or hop over to Canon instead. I kind of like "sticking out", something which is impossible to do being a Canikonianite, but if they're gear is better...
    You know, I've been going back and forth with this for awhile now. There are many aspects of Pentax that I love, however I'm up against some limitations. I am ready (or at least I want) for a pro level system. I am a perfectionist and I can't stand sub par lenses. Pentax builds good lenses, but the current selection isn't the best. I found myself looking at 3rd party lenses more and more. Quality with Sigma and Tamron can vary widely.

    I've also wanted to make the step to a full frame camera for some time. I don't have the patience to wait for Pentax to introduce a FF system, let alone the patience to wait for any bugs to be worked out.

    I may want to move to a video capable body, but not right away. I do want to be able to make a smooth transition when I am ready.

    As far as the image quality, I've never been completely happy with my results with the K10d. I have been pleased overall, but again I am a perfectionist, and I see better results from my buddies with Canon systems.

    I found a great deal on a Canon 5d that's still under warranty, so I just couldn't pass it up.
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    And here's me thinking that if I was buying today I'd probably buy the Sony Alpha 900 instead of Canon - does the brand really matter ?
    I really think brand does matter greatly. Like if I am going to get a camera that will be with me for several years, I definitely would like to have a good-looking one, name-brand too if possible, which currently there are four: Canon, Nikon, PENTAX, Olympus. But I guess with some effort I could get over the brand/good-looking thing and go for Sony... they seem to have very high-tech equipment; eye-start AF, fast AF live view, tilt screen, etc..

    Decisions, decisions... :idea:

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bloomfield colorado
    Posts
    42

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    :blush2: Not sure if I'm going to get chased out of the Pentax subforum for posting this, I just wanted to let you all know that I'll have my gear up for sale soon. I have only had my K10d for just over a year now, but I need to move in a different direction.

    If anyone wants to call dibs on any of the following, shoot me a PM. I'll update the list with prices later, but you are welcome to make offers now.

    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 This lens is legendary for Pentax shooters. Very sharp, in excellent like-new condition. $315

    Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited (Pancake lens) Excellent prime lens, excellent like-new condition. $175

    Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. New condition - I've mounted this lens only 2 times. $375

    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC. This wide angle lens is my favorite lens and I'll miss having it. Excellent condition. $375

    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro. New. $125

    Pentax K10D with kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Purchased in Dec of '07. Around 8,000 actuations. Excellent condition. Comes with original box, documentation, and everything else that came with the camera. $550
    I love cameras but get board with therm after a while, If I may ask why and what brand you are going to. you views and input will be greatly appreciated
    thank you

  12. #12
    Surfs Mtbr Naked hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Asheville
    Posts
    185

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    I'm also in the process of Jumping Ship.
    I bought a Canon XSi & I'm much happier with the images
    (straight from the camera).
    The K10 is a great camera, but something about the Canon "Fits".
    I think the K10 was a bit too much camera for me.
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard
    I love cameras but get board with therm after a while, If I may ask why and what brand you are going to. you views and input will be greatly appreciated
    thank you
    I'm going to a Canon 5D. The whys are posted above ;)
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  14. #14
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    7,856

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    You know, I've been going back and forth with this for awhile now. There are many aspects of Pentax that I love, however I'm up against some limitations...
    I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. No system should put limitations on one's vision or abilities.

    Typically this means lens selection. I feel that a manufacturer should offer three lines of lenses in the focal ranges that suits one's subject matter - an inexpensive "entry" model, an intermediate model, and a professional model.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

    See my website HERE.


    What's a Loupe for anyway?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. No system should put limitations on one's vision or abilities.

    Typically this means lens selection. I feel that a manufacturer should offer three lines of lenses in the focal ranges that suits one's subject matter - an inexpensive "entry" model, an intermediate model, and a professional model.
    I agree. And I think that the "outdoorsy" lenses should all be weathersealed. that's macros and telephotos, at least. I'm not sure what someone would use a 300 or 400mm lens for that wouldn't require being outside (or in a closed arena, but that could be outside just as easily.)
    Erik Williams

    Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. No system should put limitations on one's vision or abilities.

    Typically this means lens selection. I feel that a manufacturer should offer three lines of lenses in the focal ranges that suits one's subject matter - an inexpensive "entry" model, an intermediate model, and a professional model.
    BINGO

    But to give Pentax credit, they have been making great lenses for decades, it's just not in their current line up. However, to shoot some of the great glass that came before digital again means putting limitations on the functions of their new bodies.

    The new DA Star lineup looks VERY promising and I am eager to hear some reviews when people start picking up these lenses. On paper, these look like the mid level lenses that Pentax really needs right now.
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    :blush2: Not sure if I'm going to get chased out of the Pentax subforum for posting this, I just wanted to let you all know that I'll have my gear up for sale soon. I have only had my K10d for just over a year now, but I need to move in a different direction.

    If anyone wants to call dibs on any of the following, shoot me a PM. I'll update the list with prices later, but you are welcome to make offers now.

    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 This lens is legendary for Pentax shooters. Very sharp, in excellent like-new condition. $315

    Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited (Pancake lens) Excellent prime lens, excellent like-new condition. $175

    Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. New condition - I've mounted this lens only 2 times. $375

    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC. This wide angle lens is my favorite lens and I'll miss having it. Excellent condition. $375

    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro. New. $125

    Pentax K10D with kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Purchased in Dec of '07. Around 8,000 actuations. Excellent condition. Comes with original box, documentation, and everything else that came with the camera. $550
    What do you think of the SIGMA 70-300mm, in terms of image quality, especially on the long end? Any sample images would be great too...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    What do you think of the SIGMA 70-300mm, in terms of image quality, especially on the long end? Any sample images would be great too...
    Well, the Sigma was a Christmas gift, and I honestly didn't even use it. I would post some pictures, but I sold the body and kit lens to a friend today, so no examples.
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes

    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 This lens is legendary for Pentax shooters. Very sharp, in excellent like-new condition. $280

    Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited (Pancake lens) Excellent prime lens, excellent like-new condition. $175

    Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. New condition - I've mounted this lens only 2 times. $375

    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC. This wide angle lens is my favorite lens and I'll miss having it. Excellent condition. $360

    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro. New. $125

    Pentax K10D with kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Purchased in Dec of '07. Around 8,000 actuations. Excellent condition. Comes with original box, documentation, and everything else that came with the camera. SOLD
    Price drop on the Tamron and Sigma 10-20mm

    I HIGHLY recommend the Sigma wide angle, guys. It is sharp and has great contrast. By far my favorite lens.


    These all go up on eBay tomorrow, and I would much rather give you guys first shot.

    Some pictures of the lenses up for grabs:

    Tamron:









    Sigma 70-300





    Sigma 10-20mm







    100mm Macro







    Pentax 40mm - This really is a sweet little lens



    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Just digging through some old shots. Here are some examples from these lenses.

    Tamron:









    Sigma 10-20mm











    Pentax 40mm





    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  21. #21
    Senior Member Anbesol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,430

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    I definitely would like to have a good-looking one, name-brand too if possible, which currently there are four: Canon, Nikon, PENTAX, Olympus.(
    A bit confused, how are you going to call Pentax and Olympus 'name brand', then leave out Sony? They are essentially the continuation of Minolta, and don't know how they wouldn't be 'name brand'. How is Zeiss for 'name brand'? ;)

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sandy UT
    Posts
    394

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Listed on eBay! Please feel free to bid, you may get a lower price than what I have these quoted for above! Thanks!

    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/spiral...pgZ50QQ_sopZ12
    Jim R

    Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

  23. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    A bit confused, how are you going to call Pentax and Olympus 'name brand', then leave out Sony? They are essentially the continuation of Minolta, and don't know how they wouldn't be 'name brand'. How is Zeiss for 'name brand'? ;)
    Not that I'm saying Sony or their brand name is bad, just their reputation isn't as "long-standing" as the other four... and Minolta. Eventually, I guess Sony's name will be just as good.

    Think of the following scenario:

    You are going to get a pair of new shoes, and walk into the local department store. After trying out several pairs which don't fit, too bright, unattractive design, etc., a clerk comes up and says that he has 2 choices of pairs which are at huge discount price. Both are your shoe size, both are good-looking, both are priced the same, both are comfortable... but one pair is a Nike and the other is some strange name you've never heard of (not a counterfeit, though!). Which of these two pairs would be your first instinct to grab for?

    The Nike of course. That brand is long-standing and has built a reputation of quality. Even though the other may be just as good or better, they aren't well-known for that. Say, 10 years later both may be as popular. It is only a matter of time.

    ZEISS is name-brand, think for how many years they've been in the business. The first year they started making lenses they probably weren't as popular, the 2nd year a bit more, 3rd year much more, etc..

  24. #24
    Senior Member Anbesol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,430

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Well, their name essentially IS Minolta. Minolta's plants, engineering teams and intellectual property didn't just fall off the face of the earth as Sony took on their mount, Sony is simply *continuing* Minoltas long standing heritage. And doing a damned good job at it too.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bloomfield colorado
    Posts
    42

    Re: I'm Jumping Ship

    Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    I'm going to a Canon 5D. The whys are posted above ;)
    5d canon huh nice camera having owned one fro a while, I would try the Nikon d700 if it sharp out of the camera and unbelievable low light product
    you much happier with d700
    the best of luck to you and keep us posted:thumbsup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest PhotographyREVIEW Articles



Latest Camera News