Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Help me spend my Christmas $$

I am fairly new to the dslr game but can see myself sticking with photography as a hobby for many years. I have a Pentax K10 with a Pentax 18-55mm lens, a Tamron 70-300mm lens, a Monfrotto tripod, Monfrotto monopod and just received a wireless shutter release for Christmas. The only flash I have is the pop-up flash that came on the camera body. I also have the optional battery grip, which I seldom use because it is so heavy.

I hope to start to taking more architectural/urban pics and some wildlife photography.

Here is my question. What equipment should I begin to add to my collection of glass and accessories? I received some gift certificates to a local photography specialty store and wand to make sure I use them wisely.

How to books? Flash? Lenses? Filters? Infinite choices, finite resources.

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or wisdom you could share with a Pentax newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

Re: Help me spend my Christmas $$

Is there anything that you've been trying to shoot that you haven't been able to? In other words, where is your current equipment limiting you? Better lenses are usually the best investment. A pro 70-200 f/4 or f/2.8 lens is a basic for pro photographers. And the difference between a high-end and cheap lens is huge. Image quality and usability will both be better. So I would look at new lenses first.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will so some research on lenses. In your experience, is there an advantage to staying with the same brand lens/accessories as the camera?

Hey Ptax,
    You already have the zoom, so I'd consider adding a wide angle lens 10-17mm
    (great lens for epic landscapes like the Grand Canyon).
    Another lens would be a nice 50mm f/1.4 lens (small-light weight & great for low light situations).
    If you still have money left over, you could send some cash to my paypal account

Happy Hunting

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I agree with John
    A lens will be your best friend, but even before you do that, I would learn as much as I could about exposer. I wish I would have learned that before I spent a small fortune on lenses I do not need or use...

As far as brand goes, Sigmas APO lenses are excellent and would stick to those and Tamron their Di lenses are great, stick to those. As far as Pentax Lenses Go, I use only their DA* lenses which are pro lenses and maybe a bit overkill for starters..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Smile Re: Help me spend my Christmas $$

I appreciate the responses.

Thanks.

Thread Information