Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>
    Light and Shadow Samurai

Getting ready to post my first review

I am writing a review of the Pentax 50-135mm F2.8 lens. I'm planing on posting it with sample images tomorrow evening.

One query and one request.

The query is, if you have written a review, what do you hate most about other reviews? Any other advise on writing a review?

The request is that you be brutal with my review, kind, but brutal. I hate useless generalized comments that leave me wondering what part of me sucks, or if there is any aspect that doesn't suck.

I once participated in a Flickr group that claimed to offer brutal/honest critique and was advised not to join unless I had a thick skin. I left the group not because people where jerks, and the where that. I left because there was no opportunity to learn how I could be better.

Recently I posted a photo to Flickr and John Schaffer offered a critique of the image based on my choice of color temperature. I have not modified the image, but I have pondered the comments long. I may go back and see if I like the image edited in the way he suggested. His comment was useful to me because it challenged my perception and gave me something to consider. I'm not sure if he or I am right about the image. My stubborn nature has left it the way it is. But my next similar image may well reflect Johns advice.

So, when I post my review, please feel free to guide me to be a better reviewer.

Tom
    Sparky
    Servant of Light and Shadow

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Getting ready to post my first review

One of the greatest things about PR, Tom, is that we try to give honest, positive critiques. Most of us feel that negative critiques tend to do more harm than good. At least that is what I have felt over the past 5 years I've been on here.
    As for reviews of equipment, I like to see a lot of techical specs but with some nice laymens explanations as well. I have a lot of difficulty reading and sometimes it helps to read something explained both simple and in detail so I can compare notes as to what my dyslexic mind is mixing up...hehe...
    That being said, there are a lot of novices on here, but also a lot of technos as well, so I think if you just be yourself, consider your audience as a very general, family and friends type of setting, I think you'll do a great job.
    Good luck and look forward to reading your reviews.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Good on you Tom
    I will be brutal
    Pete
    K-5 some len

I'm glad you appreciated my comments on your photo, Tom. I realize when I make a critique that the photographer may not agree with me and that's fine. But it's important that I offer advice as I see it and not dillute it. That doesn't mean being rude, though. It's not a problem to be both honest and encouraging in a critique. In fact, I think both elements are required for effective criticism

Looking forward to your review. The review section has a rating system and comments for feedback and questions. We can discuss your review here on the Pentax forum, too. I think some exchange on what makes a good review could be really good for the site. I'd love to see more and better user reviews here.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Tom did I miss the review ?
    cheers
    Pete
    K-5 some len

edited this message
    Last edited by Transit; 12-04-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    K-5 some len

As for reviews of equipment, I like to see a lot of techical specs but with some nice laymens explanations as well. I have a lot of difficulty reading and sometimes it helps to read something explained both simple and in detail so I can compare notes as to what my dyslexic mind is mixing up

Thread Information