Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: Being Normal

Being Normal

Ok, maybe that's not an attainable goal.

I'm wondering about what is considered a 'normal' lens on a camera with a sensor the size of K10Ds. A normal lens has a focal length that produces a photo with the same perspective as the unaided eye. With a 35mm camera the 50 or 55mm lenses were considered normal. I assumed that I would have to take the 1.5 factor into account with the digital camera and was surprised when I took a photo of more distant subjects (photo of elk in this thread) after matching the size in the viewfinder to my other eye and found the focal length on my photo to be 53mm. I'm going to try it again with other subjects but am wondering if there is something I'm not thinking of.

The reason for this is that I want to use a normal perspective when shooting panoramas.
    ----------------------------

Re: Being Normal

The "official" designation of a Normal lens is one whose focal length equals the diagonal of the frame. For 35mm, it's a bit less than 50mm, but by tradition 50mm seems to dominate.

For APS-C a 30 or 31mm (like the Limited) lens would be more like a "normal" lens.

If you want the exact numbers, do the math. For whatever that's worth.

Re: Being Normal

Quote Originally Posted by danag42
    The "official" designation of a Normal lens is one whose focal length equals the diagonal of the frame. For 35mm, it's a bit less than 50mm, but by tradition 50mm seems to dominate.

For APS-C a 30 or 31mm (like the Limited) lens would be more like a "normal" lens.

If you want the exact numbers, do the math. For whatever that's worth.
    Thanks for the response.
    ----------------------------

Thread Information