Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Liz

Yikes! I did it!

Well, I made a decision. Whether or not it is rational is up for debate!

I ordered the EM-5 with 14-42 kit! I was trying to hold back because my E-P3 is only about a year old. I've read a lot about the EM-5, and was still not that interested. Then I found a photographer that had tested the IBIS and included side by side comparisons with IBIS on - then off. The difference was incredible. He also shot images at up to 6 seconds handheld and they were incredible. I've also read other reviews that elaborate on the IBIS and some people said they don't use a tripod at times where they used to.

The reason I am so enamored with the IBIS is the fact that I've always had a very slight camera shake problem, but it almost never showed on my images. When shooting lately, I'm seeing more shake on the LCD screen, especially at longer zooms. Because I'm not getting any younger, I know this will not go away!

Now, along with all of this, there are a lot more features that I'm looking forward to trying out.

My only concern is that I've also read that there is a steep learning curve, but I'll be happy using "auto" in between the acts while I'm learning!

Now I have to sell my E-P3, VF2 and a few other items to pay myself back!

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Yikes! I did it!

Congratulations, Liz.
    We're all waiting to see some examples
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz I think you will find it easier to operate than the Pens. The menu navigation is about the same as all other Olympus cameras.The buttons are laid out very nicely.Once you custom set a couple of buttons you are set. Plus you have all of us here to help you out.
    Congrats Liz you made a very wise choice there is a huge jump in image quality even when compared to the flagship E5. Rumor is Sony is making the sensor. 3200 iso has almost no noise and 6400 iso is very usable. I look forward to your first shots and be ready to be blown away. The image quality is easily as good as the NEX 7 and could be better.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Nice!

Nice move, Liz! I think you're going to be very happy. I don't know if you had a chance to try one on for size yet, but I was surprised and impressed at how small the E-M5 actually is. In practical terms, it ended up being more or less the same size in my camera pack as the E-P3 - but with way better image quality and speed. I love it. Unfortunately, Olympus needed me to return the review camera I had pretty quickly so I've been without for a while.

My dilemma now is whether to buy the new Canon T4i / 650D for a backup, studio and video camera; or to buy an OM-D, which I think is a near perfect backcountry action camera. The only thing it doesn't do well is continuous auto focus. But I can work around that with proper technique.

Looking forward to your hands-on report and photos. Please make sure to write a real review in the reviews section. We need your review!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Rumor is it's a Sony sensor. It is probably why the big jump in IQ. It made the E5 a grandfather over night.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Re: Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Nice move, Liz! I think you're going to be very happy. I don't know if you had a chance to try one on for size yet, but I was surprised and impressed at how small the E-M5 actually is. In practical terms, it ended up being more or less the same size in my camera pack as the E-P3 - but with way better image quality and speed. I love it. Unfortunately, Olympus needed me to return the review camera I had pretty quickly so I've been without for a while.

My dilemma now is whether to buy the new Canon T4i / 650D for a backup, stoudio and video camera; or to buy an OM-D, which I think is a near perfect backcountry action camera. The only thing it doesn't do well is continuous auto focus. But I can work around that with proper technique.

Looking forward to your hands-on report and photos. Please make sure to write a real review in the reviews section. We need your review!
    John - it sounds that you should choose the EM-5 over the T4i from what you've posted. You might regret not doing that! Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the encouragement, John. FedEx is scheduled to deliver the EM-5 tomorrow. I also purchased the FL300 flash for $169, but after the rebate it's free. I wouldn't have chosen that specific flash, but you can't beat the price - and it should be nice for fill or in a pinch.

I've got some nice lenses now just waiting to be attached to this camera - like the Panasonic 25mm/f1.4 and the Oly 45mm/1.8 (love these lenses).

I've done a lot of research and read in many places that there is quite a learning curve, even if you're familiar with Olympus/PEN cameras. I'm a "show & tell" person so I'm a bit anxious about how I will do in that respect as reading and applying are not what I do best. At any rate, I've seen some fine straight-out-of-camera jpg's so I can play with auto while I'm learning which is fine.

I'm really excited - and can't wait for the FED-EX truck tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Rumor is it's a Sony sensor. It is probably why the big jump in IQ. It made the E5 a grandfather over night.
    After viewing your Sony photos, and having seen some of the EM5 photos around town, I believe it!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    John - it sounds that you should choose the EM-5 over the T4i from what you've posted. You might regret not doing that! Let us know what you decide.
    Truth is, I need both. They would both have very important positions in my photographic life with very little overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I've done a lot of research and read in many places that there is quite a learning curve, even if you're familiar with Olympus/PEN cameras. I'm a "show & tell" person so I'm a bit anxious about how I will do in that respect as reading and applying are not what I do best. At any rate, I've seen some fine straight-out-of-camera jpg's so I can play with auto while I'm learning which is fine.
    I know you're concerned about the learning curve. For what its worth, I didn't find it very difficult to pick up and use. I think it's going to be a lot easier than you think
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Truth is, I need both. They would both have very important positions in my photographic life with very little overlap.

I know you're concerned about the learning curve. For what its worth, I didn't find it very difficult to pick up and use. I think it's going to be a lot easier than you think
    Thanks John.....that is good encouraging information for me. I'm trying to keep busy in my office while waiting for FED-EX!

Will update on my EM5 first impressions. :thumbsup:

Liz

http://www.costco.com/CTO/HPConfigur...=A7F22AV%23ABA
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz have you got it yet?

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Liz have you got it yet?
    YES! However, I have had no time to even check it out. It arrived late Wednesday when I had a volunteer here working with me so I had to keep working. Yesterday it stormed just about all day and I spent the entire day resolving my computer problems. I finally ordered a new laptop last night.

A few days ago I had purchased a small laptop, but found that it has some problems so I have to return it; however, I have to use it until my new one arrives in a week. In the meantime, the computer has no security, etc., so I don't want to pay my overdue bills online, not to mention the fact that my calendar is still in my old computer. What a mess!

Today I have to pay my bills and get my office work done. So tomorrow is the first day I will get a chance to take it out. This afternoon I am hoping to at least check out the features, set up and ergonomics. I am so psyched! However, I've been so busy I haven't even had a chance to even think about it.

Thanks for asking. I will be back as soon as I can get my hands on the camera even for a short while! :thumbsup:

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

S>w>e>e>t

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    yes! However, i have had no time to even check it out. It arrived late wednesday when i had a volunteer here working with me so i had to keep working. Yesterday it stormed just about all day and i spent the entire day resolving my computer problems. I finally ordered a new laptop last night.

A few days ago i had purchased a small laptop, but found that it has some problems so i have to return it; however, i have to use it until my new one arrives in a week. In the meantime, the computer has no security, etc., so i don't want to pay my overdue bills online, not to mention the fact that my calendar is still in my old computer. What a mess!

Today i have to pay my bills and get my office work done. so tomorrow is the first day i will get a chance to take it out. This afternoon i am hoping to at least check out the features, set up and ergonomics. I am so psyched! However, i've been so busy i haven't even had a chance to even think about it.

Thanks for asking. I will be back as soon as i can get my hands on the camera even for a short while! :thumbsup:

Liz

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Liz, a lens question.
    I bought my first body without lens, as I thought I had enough
    Then when I saw that the 12-50 has macro, I bought the second body with lens.
    Why did you choose the 14-42 lens?
    Just curious (and I know what it does to cats).
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Liz, a lens question.
    I bought my first body without lens, as I thought I had enough
    Then when I saw that the 12-50 has macro, I bought the second body with lens.
    Why did you choose the 14-42 lens?
    Just curious (and I know what it does to cats).
    Hi Paul,

Well, I debated about this. Originally I was going to get the body only because I can't afford to put out another $300 for a lens, or I would have purchased the 12-50 in a NY minute.

I then saw they were offering the 14-42 kit for only $100 more so I decided to go for it, mostly because the 14-42 kit lens on my E-P3 is quite nice and I do use the short zoom sometimes. So I thought it would be smarter go get the kit since I will sell the E-P3 with the original 14-42 kit.

I also purchased the FL300 for $169 because Olympus is offering a rebate of $169 if you purchase it at the same time you get the camera.....so the flash is really free.

I just charged the battery so it will be all set to go tomorrow - and the weather is supposed to be nice. I love the feel and look of the camera, so now I really can't wait to take it out.

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think the 14-42 you get is an updated version with the OM-D, should be good.
    I liked it with the E-P1, which has to go (along with the GH-1) to fund the OM-D.
    I just wanted the macro and the extra 2mm at the wide end.

It's not as versatile as the Panasonic 14-140, but that panny lens doesn't have the close focus of the 14-42 so it depends how close you get to your victim, er, subject.

Free is good, I bought a Mecablitz 58 AF 2 which is compatible with both Olympus and Panasonic.

Look forward to your photos, Liz.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Just an update....

I finally had a chance to try out the EM5 - but no photos online yet as I have to wait until my new computer arrives.

I am so anxious to get a good start so I hope my computer arrives soon!!!!!! I love the feel of the camera, although it is a bit complicated. I think I'll be very happy once I learn.

Oh - I did have a real challenge trying to attach the Panasonic 25mm/f1.4 - WOW! It is super tight....but it works! Thankfully it came off easier than it went on. I got a bit nervous because in taking the first shots I got a few blank screens. It seems to be ok now though. It may have been the contacts when I first attached it.

I did make an attempt to compare some images from the EM5 with the E-P3 by taking the same subjects with each camera. I thought I could at least view them via the E-P3 screen using magnification, etc., just to get an idea. But...had a problm with the card.....so posted my question on the help forum.

Problem viewing SD images....question

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Thread Information