Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Liz

Will Olympus' Probes/Problems Affect Camera Division?

I've read some of the news about the FBI probes, investigations and ultimate problems that Olympus is having now. Although endoscopes are apparently their biggest product, with the losses they are taking, there is talk about takeovers within some of their divisions.

I know little about how these businesses work, and am wondering what will ultimately happen here. What do others here think about it? Specifically - will it affect their camera division?

They have been all over the business news - here is one recent article which includes a lot of information.

I have a divested interest - having just used my retirement gift to purchase "better" ($$$) Oly M4/3 gear!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/bu...ndal.html?_r=1

Liz

Re: Will Olympus' Probes/Problems Affect Camera Division?

I have been reading all of it too Liz.
    Olympus CEO scandal - TIME

It doesn't look good. Maybe a buy out? I would think that due to the popularity of m4/3rd it would continue. But I worry that they days of them making a DSLR may be over. I am not one to spread rumors but the e5 is the only DSLR that has been put out by Olympus in a few years.
    I also wonder have they pushed the IQ of the m4/3rd sensor to it limit and still keep it affordable?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I have been reading all of it too Liz.
    Olympus CEO scandal - TIME

It doesn't look good. Maybe a buy out? I would think that due to the popularity of m4/3rd it would continue. But I worry that they days of them making a DSLR may be over. I am not one to spread rumors but the e5 is the only DSLR that has been put out by Olympus in a few years.
    I also wonder have they pushed the IQ of the m4/3rd sensor to it limit and still keep it affordable?
    There is talk here and there of some divisions of Olympus Corp being taken over, but who knows at this point. I would think that Olympus will keep the camera division going - or some other M4/3 camera manufacturer will take it over. Olympus has played a big role in developing and growing the M4/3 system....

Another aspect is the fact that Olympus recently produced the best lenses yet for the M4/3 system......the Olympus 12mm/f2 and the Olympus 45mm/f1.8 - both are beautiful fast lenses! I also think it is just the beginning of what will be coming down the pike in the near future.

Liz

Liz I would think m4/3rd is the bread and butter. But worse case senerio there is always Panasonic. I think you are in a safe place. Me, I have been wanting the 7-14mm lens for a long time but with the way things are going I am putting off getting one.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information