Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Which Wide angle lens??

Hi All,

New to DSLR'S , but i have found landscape pictures great fun to look for, my question is, i am looking for a good wide angle lens, i have heard about the 9-18mm Zuiko lens, would this lens be suitable for landscapes, or is it too extreme, a few friends have told me that this sort of lens should only be used for close up shots, but im not sure they are right, so im hoping that you folks can put me on the right track would love to see some examples of shots taken with this lens too, bucks is also a consideration, i can get a lens for £385.00, a fair price i think,

Thanks in advance,

Re: Which Wide angle lens??

What lenses do you have now?

My first recommendation is always the same; the 12-60 is a phenomenal step up from the kit lens, and gives you a significantly wider angle at 12mm than the 14mm.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

I curently have the Kit lenses, 17.5-45mm and the 60-150mm, i was first looking at the 12-60mm lens but its all down to cost, also maybe the 12-60 would be to much of an overlap on the current kits lenses, unless im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    What lenses do you have now?

My first recommendation is always the same; the 12-60 is a phenomenal step up from the kit lens, and gives you a significantly wider angle at 12mm than the 14mm.

well the 12-60 will be a HUGE improvement over the lens you have now. the 17.5-45 was not the proudest moment for Olympus.

Most of the kit lenses were 14-45 or 14-42 giving you the wide angle equivalent to 28mm. with the 17.5 the widest you get is 35mm.

I did not know that you had the 17.5, then I would also recommend the 14-54 for a cheaper alternative to the 12-60. the 14mm will be wider than the 17.5. of course the 12mm would be wider still.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Thread Information