Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Katherine

Would you buy....

An E-510 with Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 ED Lens, Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 ED, extra battery, 1gb CF card, and of course it comes with the charger, cables, instructions, etc. for $400? Everything looks to be in excellent shape (from what the pics show), has been used for appx 1600 shots, and was one of 3 or 4 cameras the guy owns. He said he mainly used this one for taking pics of his grandaughters and some panoramic shots.
    Does this sound good or should I wait for something with a warranty but fewer goodies?

Re: Would you buy....

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. I would look around and check what prices on newer Oly DSLRs are, though. In my opinion, the E-510 is getting pretty long in the tooth. We're two generations past that now. However, for what you want to use it for (I posted a reply on your post in the Digital Cameras forum) I think that package is a good one. The 40-150mm lens is the one you'll probably want to use for photographing flat art. And you'll need a tripod, too!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Katherine

Thanks for such a fast reply! I've found a new E-520 for $450 and a refurbed for $385 from B&H (I think) but those just come with the 14-42mm lens. What is the 2nd generation past the 510? The E-620 or the E-450? One other thought I have had was getting something like the 510 or 520 and using that until the micro 4/3 bodies come down, or maybe Olympus will release an EP-1 type camera with a viewfinder and/or built in flash. Have you heard any rumors about those additions? Portability may be a bit of an issue with me. I usually have my backpack with me, but like anyone else I'll take smaller and lighter any day!
    Last edited by Nyreth; 07-16-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Seems like a decent deal. If you are just starting out, then go for this package. It seems like a minimal investment.You can always upgrade the body later and not have to worry about purchasing the lenses. I think you may be able to purchase a SquareTrade warranty for cheap money.
    Just wanted to add that I chose the 510 over the 520 because I really couldn't see a justification for the additional cost. Not much of a difference for the way I use them. Good luck with your purchase!!
    Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

Katherine

Well, I ended up letting that camera go. I'm kind of regretting it, but the auction ended before I heard about the SqaureTrade Warranty. I also read some of the reviews and comparisons for the 510/520/620 and I see what PhotoJohn was talking about with the 510 getting a little long in the tooth. Right now I am seriously considering uping my budget and going with the 620 or EP-1 as soon as I can find one of each to play with in person. Thanks for the input though!

Thread Information