Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Upgrading my E-500, what lenses to keep/buy?

I am planning to upgrade my E-500 to a camera with image stabilization. When I can afford it, I'd like to get an E-3. It sounds like an awesome camera. I am wondering what lenses I should sell and which ones to keep or if I should acquire different lenses to go with the E-3.

I have the two kit lenses that came with the E-500 (14-45 and 40-150). I also have a 50 mm macro lens, an 18-180 and 70-300 lens.

The kit lenses are faster lenses than the 18-180 but I find that the 18-180 is more versatile. When I travel I can take both wide angle and telephoto with it. When I used the kit lenses, I was forever having to change lenses back and forth and sometimes missing an interesting photo as a result. In traveling you end up in situations where you want an overall wide-angle shot but then see an interesting person, animal, etc. and want a close-up with a telephoto. Frequently, you lack time to change lenses and it is difficult to do that on the move.

The 12-60 and 50-200 SWD, although fantastic lenses, seem to present the same issue as my original kit lenses. You have to keep switching lenses back and forth. Also, they are very expensive. I wish Oly would come out with a faster SWD type lens in the 18-180 configuration. It seems to be the most versatile although I realize its drawbacks in the present format.

I could use some advice on what lenses might be best for me when I am able to purchase the E-3.

Re: Upgrading my E-500, what lenses to keep/buy?

It depends on what you need them for, I carry my E-3 with me everyday and have my 14-54 on it. If you need an all purpose lens then 12-60 would be a better choice although expensive, you can always go for 14-54 as it is cheaper.

if you need a telephoto then you will have to decide what u need to get, 70-300 is cheap and a great lens for the price but not a low light lens but 50-200 is good in low light and is sharp. I was stuck with the decision similar to this (50-200mm or 35-100mm) i realized that the only time i need a telephoto zoom is in the day and then for me the 70-300 will suffice.

i think you should go for 12-60mm.
    Olympus E-5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 14-35mm F2.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 7-14mm F4.0
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Olympus FL-50R Flash

If you have the money the 12-60mm would be great but the 14-54 is an awesome lens. Weather sealed and fast too. If I were you I would get rid of the 14-45 and the 40-150. With the IS you will be getting on the upgrade all of the other lenses you have will be just that much nicer to have. So to me it would be between the two. The 12-60 or 14-54.
    The E3 is an awesome camera with a lot lower noise the the previous cameras. I keep reading rumors of another pro body soon. An E5 but you never know.
    I bought my wife a 510 for Christmas. Just because I thought it would be a nice starter camera. They are going used at very reasonable prices. But if is in your budget the E3 is the way to go.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thank you for your input. Are there any Sigma lenses I should consider in lieu of the Zuiko lenses?

With what you have probably not. Although Sigma make some outstanding lenses.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Consider the E-620 instead of the E-3. The E-3 has a better build, but I love the compact size and low weight of the E-620 and I like the 12-megapixel sensor better, too. I've had both cameras available to use for a while and I always choose the E-620 over the E-3.

I think it would be a shame to upgrade your camera and then put the 18-180mm lens in front of a nice new sensor. Of all the Olympus lenses I've used, that one was the one I liked the least. I liked the idea of it. But the optics just weren't there for me. When I'm using the Olympus E-620 I usually carry the 12-60mm and the 70-300. That gives me a 35mm equivalent of 24mm to 600mm. I love being able to carry that range in such a small, lightweight package. And although it suffers at full zoom, wide open, I am usually very happy with the quality of images I get from the 70-300mm lens.

The 40-150mm lens is also a good option. The auto focus isn't the best and it's build isn't nearly as good as the 70-300, but it sure is a lot of lens in a very small package.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I will take a look at the E-620.

I agree with you about the 18-180 not being the best of lenses. It's the versatility that appeals to me when I'm on the move and when changing lenses isn't easy and the delay can result in losing a good shot. I noticed this a couple of years ago in Ecuador when I was taking a tour and I was using the two kit lenses with my E-500. There would be scenic wide-angle shots and, at the same time, I would see an interesting person and would want to have a telephoto. Stopping to switch lenses was cumbersome and time consuming, and I couldn't keep up with the tour group. That's when I purchased the 18-180. I wish Oly would upgrade that lens to a faster higher quality lens. It is the perfect range for what I normally shoot.

It really is a dilemma.

This is always a dilemma, no matter what the camera system

The best all-purpose superzoom I have used is the Canon EF 28-300mm IS L. The price you pay there is wear and tear on your arm. That lens is a tank. Oh yeah, the price tag is pretty brutal, too. But the image quality is awesome for such a huge range.

Lately I've been using the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's also somewhat optically compromised, but not as much as the Olympus 18-180mm lens. No matter what you do, there are always compromises. I ust keep ending up with a two lens compromise. I find it gives me the best overall coverage with the best quality.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information