Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

A strange competitor?

A weird concept, lenses on sensors that clip into a body with the controls on.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...ead.php?t=5664
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Re: A strange competitor?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    A weird concept, lenses on sensors that clip into a body with the controls on.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...ead.php?t=5664
    Hmmmm.....I checked out Ricoh and their sample images. For what this system would cost (and you have to buy a sensor with each lens which somehow seems wasteful, at least to me), I wasn't too impressed with the images. They are good, but not "stunning" as I expected they would be. Also, I think this would eventually add up to a lot of equipment (for those of us who like to buy lenses!). Just my personal opinion.

Sample images:

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/sample...html#sample_05

BTW, Amazon already is taking pre-orders. You have to sort through this page to find the body, lens/sensor etc.

Body/accessories - prices

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...Ricoh+GXR+(S10)

Thanks Paul....it is really an interesting concept - it will also be interesting to see where it goes and how popular it becomes.

Liz

Interesting...but is not my cup of tea either...and the sample images IMO are nothing to brag about.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It seems a strange solution to getting dust in the camera when you change lenses.
    As the lenses appear not to be changeable on the sensors.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Im sure later on they might have sensors and lenses that are interchangeable with out the need to buy a different body. I saw some interesting applications when useing this system and I hope the price goes down, seems to be very flexible. However I expected much better image quality since the sensor and lenses are "optimized for each other".
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

You know what, the concept is growing on me.

Sensors, relative to the cost of lens and camera, are actually not all that expensive. The body alone for an APS-C camera can be as cheap as 5-600 dollars, how much of that is the sensor? Ill be willing to bet that the body, processor, battery, prism, etc, are at least 2/3 of cost, if not more. Adding a hundred or two to the cost of a lens is really not all that significant when the lens costs a great deal already.

However Ideally I've always an envisioned a completely modular system where the sensor could also be removed and upgraded. Like the RED system camera but with consumer cameras.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

drg

The 'control' module could also be upgraded in this system. Or the lens/sensor bodies could be ganged on to a single unit for multiple simultaneous shots.

Lots of possibilities. How practical and if this will be just another clever concept that probably will fade away remains to be be seen.

I do believe that it is an indicator that a lot of future cameras are not going to look or act the way we have come to expect. New photographers are not going to be tied into legacy lens systems as much and the rapid speed at which all of this technology can change is going to alter how a portion of the market behaves.

I do like the idea of multiple sensor capability and thus size of the camera somewhere in the future. Lenses and sensors optimized to each other for use has a lot of attraction but will this be the format???
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information